Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#15551 - 12/18/02 01:04 AM Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
JSeputis Offline
Arriving in Belize for one day only on the RCL Nordic Empress. Are looking to either fly over to Ambergris Caye for the day or taking a tour of Lamanai and the New River. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks!

#15552 - 12/18/02 08:39 AM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
Sandy C Offline
The island is great local people, sea, snorkeling, sailing, parasailing, beach... You'll probably be on your own schedule more on the island. Inland is great local people, jungle, history, river wildlife... Either will be unique and rich in experience. My thoughts are that it depends on whether you want a sea experience that day or a jungle experience. If you fly to the island, fly out of Belize City Municipal for cheaper fares. Enjoy a great day at either spot!

#15553 - 12/18/02 12:33 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
Big Frank Offline
Have you been to any major Mayan ruins? If not then Lamanai is highly recommended. Terrific Flora and Fauna and impressive ruins.

#15554 - 12/19/02 02:12 AM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
JSeputis Offline
Thanks for the suggestions so far! In answer to your question Frank - No, we've never been to any major ruins yet. We'll be diving/snorkeling in Grand Cayman and doing the same in Cozumel. That's why we're considering Lamanai but would really like a chance to experience Ambergris also - so little time and so much to do! But alas, we can't do both.
It's a fairly long trip to Lamanai(about 45 min. on bus and another 1 1/2 hours by boat) to reach the ruins and then back again. If the trip there and back is interesting, and the ruins worth the visit then it might be a good choice. Since we've never done this type of thing before wasn't quite sure what to expect and if it was worth the investment of all that travel time.
Has anyone done both and is there a clear preference or is it like Sandy said - if we feel like having a beach and fun in the sun experience do one thing - if it's history and fauna do the other?
Let me know - Thanks much!

#15555 - 12/19/02 04:57 AM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
Chloe Offline
Jseputis, by chance are you from Johnston City?
Dare To Deviate

#15556 - 12/19/02 11:18 AM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
Big Frank Offline
The single most funnest thing I did In Bze was the boat ride to and from Lamanai. A leasurely Eco tour on the way there, and a flat out full speed ahead haul-ass ride back. A glassy river, a canopy of trees, and in my field of view were the tanned and lovely legs of some lass. And no, I never daydream. Again, if you've never gone to famous ruins you owe it to yourself. A small well kept ball court, an immense pyramid and...you discover the rest.

The boat ride will seem too short.

#15557 - 12/20/02 12:21 AM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
JSeputis Offline
Chloe - No, I'm from Lake Villa, Il (north of Chicago).
Big Frank - Thanks for sharing your experience. I read a post from someone else on another board saying just about the same thing - about the boat ride that is, not the lass! laugh Just the same, you painted a great mental picture!

#15558 - 12/20/02 11:24 AM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
Richard Chambers Offline
Big Frank,
I agree with you, the boat ride was a blast, especially down the New River! The ruins tour was great too. Very knowledgeable guide service by Seaduced. It was my first Mayan experience and i can't recommend it enough. The provided lunch home cooked by the guides wife was excellent, and the rum punch wasn;t bad either!
I'd do Lamanai again..........Richard :p

#15559 - 12/23/02 04:05 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
JSeputis Offline
Thanks for the confirmation, Richard! Is there a way to get directly in touch with Seaduced - email or phone number? I'd much rather book a guided tour on recommendation rather than the hit or miss approach. Thanks. smile

#15560 - 12/24/02 07:28 PM Re: Ambergris Caye or Lamanai Ruins?
Marty Offline
SeaDuced is at http://AmbergrisCaye.com/seaduced/ or email Rebecca at seabelize@btl.net

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.