Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#1560 - 04/19/06 05:38 PM Fini's report :)
finigan Offline
Ok well lets see.... have been home now for exactly one week and am still having "PVB" (post vacation blues).

Arrived in Belize on the 29th and stayed 2 nights at Blackrock Lodge, beautifull does not describe the setting, my husband and I knew there was never going to be a way to paint a picture of that area to friends and family back home, no matter how many pictures we show them. Only one thing that would bother some (myself just a bit) are bugs lol Scorpions also, which I had the pleasure of meeting on my morning of departure luckily lol Yes bugs are every where we all live with some, its just that fear of the unkown when you visit some where. Other then that it was perfect.
On to San Pedro!.. We took the boat taxi to the island since there were 8 in our group and I am so glad we did! The ride is just beautifull and the breeze was so welcomed after waiting in such hot weather (not a complaint since I am back in 40 degree weather lol) We stayed at a rental home called Debbie's Beach which is next door to Sands Cove. It couldnt have been any more perfect for us, its just a short distance (imo) from town yet very private and Sands Cove next door takes such wonderfull care of anything you would like to do (kayaking, Hol Chan, pool, bar etc.)
Now as I feel I had done so much research before hand I figured I was set as far as what to expect, weather, bugs, food, etc.. Well I got schooled! lol Bugs...I brought bug spray in anticipation of the sand flys, strong stuff, but I was slowly getting eaten alive. Day 1.. feet devoured..Day 2..lower legs gone, Day 3..they feast on my thighs, Day 4 they have now moved to my upper body! In tears I called a Dr. Gonzalas (not sure if spelling correctly) and was informed that normal bug spray does not work for sand flies, I should use baby oil. It worked! Gawd had I only new that nice little piece of info I would have been able to enjoy my first 4 days so much better! I had over a hundred bites, I looked like I had the chicken pox! Some of us are just more tasty then others, only a couple of others got bit and they were few. So please please inform others that are looking for info that baby oil does the trick and you smell so much nicer too! lol
Ok that was my only complaint and now that its out of the way lets move on....We spent such a nice relaxing vacation with a few nice adventures thrown in, loved taking the golf cart and hit the bars at the resorts! lol Great fun lol Did the Hol chan/shark ray thing and was wonderfull. Explored both ends of the island and it was just so facinating to see everything. I would reco' the Tortilla factory just south of the bridge, we got nice fresh hot corn tortillas for .75 us 1/2 doz. quickly learned what to buy and not to buy as far as food goes (eating at the house that is) and fresh tort's and some thin sliced meat from the butcher in downtown San, a few vegi's from "The green house" main street beach side, makes for a wonderfull dinner and very inexspensive. Also there is a Lady that walks with a tupperware bowl full of Shrimp Cocktail and Ceviche (again spelling) and the Cocktail was unlike I ever had, it was such a find when we would catch her! Worth a trip back just for it!
Well a couple more things before I go cause this could be a book if I allowed myself to continue lol
While we were there a young man lost his life, paper said he was only 15. We happened to be in town when they had his wake and what a sobering reality. Very hard to sleep that night thinking "here I am with my whole family and wondering how will I describe this beautifull place, what should I put in my trip report when I get home etc.. and some families life has just been turned inside out!" My heart breaks for them and there is one person in Idaho who is praying for them.
The last point I want to cover is... I never expected to go on vacation and want to make sure and say good bye to people when we left, not to mention the tears shed because of getting to know some. Debbie's Beach has a family that lives behind it that takes care of the place. Victor, Rosa, Bernice, Henry, Dennis, & Ferdi. We had a 7 year old son, a 13 yr old daughter, and a 14 yr old son with us. There boys 11, 9, & 6 were home the last week for spring break and they played together from morning till late. Bernice who is also 13 was unaible to visit till the end due to tests. It makes me tear up just to think of them. The last thing I would have ever thought to prepare myself for on this vacation was to meet such a wonderfull family and become so attatched so quickly. There are not many people like them any more and they will be blessed for the kindness they show others. I intend to keep in touch with them. Also all those at White sands cove are wonderfull, just such an odd feeling when your leaving and you want to make sure you have said your good byes to them. We went to Cancun last year and never felt that when we left there. I will miss you San Pedro.
If anyone would like any info since we seen alot more then was able to put in my report feel free to contact me.

#1561 - 04/20/06 02:01 PM Re: Fini's report :)
1BKeeper Offline
Great fun, finigan! I can talk and write (and did) on and on about San Pedro. It is a magical place!

#1562 - 04/20/06 03:55 PM Re: Fini's report :)
J DOG Offline
Good Report,
skin so soft works great on sand flys also and smells good.
Sounds like you will be back.

#1563 - 04/20/06 04:47 PM Re: Fini's report :)
finigan Offline
Yes the Dr. also reco'd Skin so soft also. Yes I hope to be back some day, afraid I wont recognize the place tho with so much building going on, it is amazing to see how fast your piece of heaven is growing. I just pray the locals benefit from the growth and not become care takers to all of us that visit. It is your home and should be respected as so and not consumed by tourist, ah but thats a whole diff. subject lol Will always find this forum as a nice reminder till then.

#1564 - 04/20/06 06:54 PM Re: Fini's report :)
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Had fun with you at Banyan Bay too!

#1565 - 04/21/06 09:40 PM Re: Fini's report :)
LaurieMar Offline
Great report. I learned something new too - love the acronym "PVB"!

#1566 - 04/22/06 12:50 AM Re: Fini's report :)
NYgal Offline
Nice trip sheet...thanks for sharing.
PVB frown
laugh

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Judyann H., BrownDogs, azbob, steeplejack, 1 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,314 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.