Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156006 - 08/10/03 01:18 PM Castaways
kailani Offline
Our local (Oregon) newpaper recently carried a wire service story about some fishermen from Tobago that were lost and adrift in their small fishing boat for 33 days after their outboard motor conked out. They barely survived on some fish they caught and a little rainwater they collected before they were rescued just north of San Pedro near Puerto Allen, Mexico.
They drifted over 2000 miles with only the food and water they could scrounge on their own.
They all lived, though they were in pretty poor shape by the time they were rescued. I think they will all be spending a little more time in church than before according to the article.

#156007 - 08/13/03 01:23 AM Re: Castaways
kailani Offline
How is it that I am apparently the only one fascinated by this miraculous story of survival at sea? I mean really! I am a party hearty guy, but I think this is really more intersting than a pub crawl or some dude named lotus that somehow managed to irritate almost everyone that reads the board isn't it?

Does anyone know where Puerto Allen is located with respect to San Pedro? eek

#156008 - 08/13/03 02:26 AM Re: Castaways
sweets Offline
I was interested - just didn't know what to say! smile If you check out this map you can see Punta Allen - looks like about a 2 hour drive north or Chetumal. Pretty far by boat from San Pedro as Ambergris Caye is just south of the point below Xcalak.

Hope it give you an idea? confused

#156009 - 08/13/03 10:39 AM Re: Castaways
Debbie Offline
I was amazed as well. Even went home and told my family about it. It is fascinating. Any more news on their health and where exactly they were taken for treatment?

#156010 - 08/13/03 11:44 PM Re: Castaways
kailani Offline
Thanks for the map Sweet. It answered my question.

Apparently two of the three men were healthy enough to travel back to Tobaggo shortly after their rescue. The third man stayed for more medical treatment but planned to leave for home as soon as he was able.

Another source of news indicated that they were fishing as usual in their small outboard boat, when a rogue wave swamped the motor and caused it to quit running. When they finally were able to get it started again, they were too far from their island and they ran out of gas tryng ot get home. They drifted across the entire Caribbean with no on board provisions for the next 33 days and lived to tell about it. That is not a record, but it is pretty dang cool. laugh

#156011 - 08/14/03 12:16 AM Re: Castaways
kailani Offline
I just found a link to a newspaper from Tinidad called the "Trinidad Express" In their Tobago section, they carried an article about this incident as of last Fraday. Apparently at that date, none of the men had returned home. the article said they each lost about 80 lbs., and were treated for dehydration, exposure, infections, mental trauma, and other maladies. They were turned over to the Mexican Army by the Mexican Navy and treated in a hospital in Cancun. laugh laugh laugh

The good news is that they are alive, and the government of Mexico is putting them up in a hotel for a while in Cancun, paying for their hospitalization, and paying the airfare for them to return to Trinidad. Viva Mexico!!! They are all young men in their mid twenties--I'm sure that helped their survival odds.

The article didn't say what was going to happen to their boat. confused

#156012 - 08/14/03 02:03 AM Re: Castaways
sweets Offline
Wow, thats great of Mexico! I lived in the Cayman Islands for 5 years and I have friend who went on boat trip to Jamaica, there was 4 of them I think. It's a long trip by boat but a lot of people do it. The boat broke down and they were lost for 2 weeks, he said they caught and ate raw fish and had to drink their own urine! yuck!! But the coast guards found them and they made it home safe.

#156013 - 08/14/03 08:09 AM Re: Castaways
toad Offline
urine good health

#156014 - 08/14/03 08:57 AM Re: Castaways
ga peach Offline
sweets, how was life in the Cayman's? This past January we visited Cayman Brac and fell in love with it. We were thinking of buying some property there and would like your input about living there. gp

#156015 - 08/14/03 10:04 AM Re: Castaways
Debbie Offline
Kailani, Thanks so much for the update. That is truly a kind and humanitarian thing for the Mexican people to do for these men. They've been through hell. I'm so glad they are all on the mend. Remarkable story!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.