Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#156109 - 08/14/03 06:25 PM Definition of a Troll
Islenutt Offline

This term has come up several times recently.
Here is a definition from a website that was posted here a few days ago that I found interesting. laugh

What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it?

I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, - just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).

#156110 - 08/14/03 08:45 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
Pedro1 Offline
Unfortunately I believe this Troll is here to stay.Wait till next week we will have another super alias for this bloke and he as usual will protest too much-Marty is in for a miserable late summer.

#156111 - 08/14/03 09:14 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
Ernie B Offline
Pedro, get with Jim and trap this S.O.B. Maybe that will run him off.!

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.

#156112 - 08/14/03 09:17 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
Islenutt Offline
Very true Pedro...
I wanted to post the definition for the sake of clarity... we now all know what we are dealing with. smile

#156113 - 08/14/03 09:24 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
Turnbun1971 Offline
Islenutt: You hit the nail on the head. I'm so guilty of feeding the trolls. I have to learn to control that tendency.

To some people, any attention is good attention. Poor souls.

#156114 - 08/14/03 09:28 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
Islenutt Offline
Turnbun - we all fall into that trap once in a while. Pure stupidity is hard to ignore anywhere in life.
This did give me the chance to look at your wedding photos!
They were beautiful, thanks for sharing.

#156115 - 08/14/03 09:57 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
Turnbun1971 Offline
Awwww, thanks! I like to post them for people getting married on AC so they can see what a "real" wedding looks like on the island.

#156116 - 08/14/03 10:14 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
seashell Offline
That's great Turnbun! And beautiful pics they are too . . . just so long as you didn't post them for "the sake of clarity". hee hee
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#156117 - 08/15/03 06:49 AM Re: Definition of a Troll
Sigmond Frog Offline
For those that may be interested, the link that offers an abundance of information about flaming and related topics is:

Happy reading and food for thought.

#156118 - 08/15/03 05:44 PM Re: Definition of a Troll
Islenutt Offline
Seems like someone hasn't read the suggested material! :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (pamkillen, debbief, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,739 Topics
461,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.