Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#15649 - 07/23/02 07:32 PM Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
munichchick Offline
Just in case anyone would like to take a look at how Long Caye is coming along with eco friendly development. www.longcayebelize.com

#15650 - 07/24/02 10:54 PM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
SEAWINGS Offline
Thanks.Looks like a lot of progress has made.I have been following the development for a couple of years.But sure is a long ways out there.
The construction company now on the island will speed things up.
Enjoy!!!!!

#15651 - 07/25/02 01:10 AM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
susangg Offline
Looks very nice. The "CocoPlum" design looks quite a bit like what my husband designed for our little house in Panama (1 bedroom house with wrap around deck.)
I wonder why wind power is not in the plan. I see that you will be using solar. It looks like you are planning for each owner to do his own thing, power wise, so maybe that's why you aren't using wind. The effective wind turbines are very big and therefore expensive; maybe they need to be used on a shared basis to be cost effective?
Are you going to be using composting toilets?
It does look like quite a bit of building for such a small place...but since it will be many years before all those lots get sold, let alone built on, it probably will never become an issue. Obviously, a lot of planning is being done.

#15652 - 07/25/02 04:21 PM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
Enigma Offline
According to the website the island is 2 1/4 miles long and 3/4 miles wide, some of which I see is not parceled off.

To get a better picture of size, in feet that would be 11,880 ft. long by 3,960 ft. wide.

According to Pleasure Island via email, there are approximately 700 parcels between residential and commercial combined.

Maybe it's me but that seems like a lot of folks jammed into a small space, not to mention the demand on the land itself....eco-village or not.

The website mentions all the wonderful birds that nest on this island and the fact that it's a crucial resting stop.
I'm curious if these birds will still want to stop for a visit once the island is full of humans?

Although there does seem to be a lot of planning that has gone into this project, even the best laid plans can go awry. I think I have mixed feelings about developing this island. Composting toilets are fine but I'd like to know what will happen to all the waste water? Typically, waste water is dumped into what they call here "a soak away". How many soak aways will there be?
Will there be any wells on the island or will everyone depend solely on rain catchment? If so, what is to prevent the soak aways from leaching into the ground water?

I agree on the wind power. Should be able to provide quite a large percentage from that setup. It is expensive to set up and must be maintained diligently in the salt air environment, but if people chipped in together and shared the costs, maybe it's worth looking into.

There is a company called jademountain.com that specializes in sustainable energy products. Everything from household appliances to solar toys. Problem is, I can't imagine the cost of buying, shipping and setting up these items in such a remote location.

Sometimes I think we should leave nature alone.

Will watch as progress continues.

[This message has been edited by Enigma (edited 07-25-2002).]

#15653 - 07/27/02 06:29 PM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
susangg Offline
I see that there are plans for a marina. Is it to be a "full service" marina? Meaning, one where cruising sailors can dock for a day, a week, a month or....??? and have access to all normal marina services (pump out, water, electricity, showers, provisioning, security, etc.)?
Currently there is nothing like that in Belize and that may account for the relatively small number of cruising sailors who come here, despite the fact that the sailing as about as good as it gets anywhere in the world, for at least half the year.
(And it needs to be reasonably priced as well...)

#15654 - 07/28/02 11:32 PM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
trina Offline
It seems like a lot of good planning has gone into this BUT. In my experience, impact by humans: waste-water, diesel fuel, noise (scares away birds), stepping on or hitting coral (happens most of time by accident) has an impact, regardless of what steps have been taken to mitigate. What's the maximum or "cap" of the population on this island? I guess the bottom line is, I like to keep think of some spots as staying remote, untouched (a relative term, yes) and pristine.

#15655 - 07/29/02 04:56 AM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
Enigma Offline
I'm still hoping Munichchick or Scubaldy can answer those questions. I see from this board both of them have purchased there and I'm sure these were questions they asked themselves when they bought.

It's not the developement I have a problem with....it's looks wonderful. It's the size and volume of people I think i have a problem with.

Was there an environmental impact study done before this project began? I don't remember hearing anything about it.

Where is Paradise Island based at? (the company that is)

Thanks

#15656 - 07/29/02 06:32 PM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
munichchick Offline
Here are some answeres to your questions. 80% of the Island will be preserved. You can only build 20% on your lot which will allow space and nature between buildings. Not everyone that purchased a lot is planing on building on the land. An Environmental Impact Assesment was made and filed with the Government. The developer has donated (or at least offered) land to the Belize Audubon Society.I think if an Island get's developed this is got to be the best way to do it. We can all be happy not some big resort group came in and purchased the Island to build a huge Mega Resort on it. Just look at the Riviera Maya and see what is happening there. Belize could be looked at next by these large Resort Groups once they run out of land there. The good thing is that the people that own the Island really care about saving the Environment and creating a community where humans exist in peace with nature. This is a very hard thing to find in this world. Pleasure Island Inc. is located in Florida. We are very happy to be part of such a wonderful Development. So far things are developing faster than we thought it would and we are looking forward on spending more time on Long Caye in the future. And "No I don't work for them". Make your own decission if you want to buy land there. So far we are glad we did!!!!

#15657 - 07/29/02 06:44 PM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
munichchick Offline
Only decomposting toilets are allowed on the Island and I sure hope people will not step on the Coral. We have snorkeled for years and I am proud to say we never stepped on or touched coral! Long Caye does not look like it will be over developed to us. If you want to see over developed check out what is happening along the Riviera Maya between Puerto Morelos and Tulum and California besides many other parts of America!!!! In order to stop developement we would need to stop having Children and adding to the worlds over population. Otherwise I can not see how development will ever stop because humans will want that development and developers will want $$$! It is only a matter of time until it reaches more remote parts like Belize and at least the Long Caye Preserve will try to preserve habitats for nature and animals. Unlike some other places that will get developed over the years. We have watched development over the last 10 years along the Mexican Caribbean and know what could be coming to Belize. Unfortunately, it is all about money and the Belize government already showed with the Dam project that it is also very interested in money versus preserving nature!!!!

#15658 - 07/29/02 07:36 PM Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef
trina Offline
Munichick, thanks for the info. Question: what is "Riviera Maya"? I am not familiar with that. Also, I agree about Mexican coast, along with most places in US regarding development. That exactly makes my point, that we should really preserve what is left. And yes, I am glad that it appears that your group is saavy and cares about the environment. I am aware of the dam project and am confused about the whole thing.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (IGAmel, JaHo, ragman, JED), 40 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.