Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157382 09/24/03 09:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I've noticed a trend in the reporting on Belize. Most articles are highlighting Placencia and Cayo, and it appears from some other posts that tourism is really gaining momentum those areas, particularly Placencia.

There are clearly some very informed people on this site -- Marty, Lan, Pedro -- so I would like to ask if anyone knows how tourist dollars are distributed throughout Belize. Having visited, I'd guess that Ambergris attracts about 80% of the recreation dollars with the other 20% being split-up by the rest of the nation's destinations. But if these magazines are right, it sounds like 80% is too high.

What do you think?

#157383 09/24/03 10:10 AM
Originally posted by SnowBubbles:
I've noticed a trend in the reporting on Belize. Most articles are highlighting Placencia and Cayo, and it appears from some other posts that tourism is really gaining momentum those areas, particularly Placencia.

There are clearly some very informed people on this site -- Marty, Lan, Pedro -- so I would like to ask if anyone knows how tourist dollars are distributed throughout Belize. Having visited, I'd guess that Ambergris attracts about 80% of the recreation dollars with the other 20% being split-up by the rest of the nation's destinations. But if these magazines are right, it sounds like 80% is too high.

What do you think?
That is really a good point. 21 years ago [ which was the first time we visited Belize] the great majority of the travellers went to Ambergris Caye. It was still a beautiful small fishing village, however there were nice hotels and guides. Many of the other areas had no real hotels, and transportation was a real challenge. When we visited in places such as Crooked Tree, we used cargo trucks, and we stayed in Belizean 's homes. Where as now, you can pick and choose what type of adventure you want to do. There are many options now in Belize. We still love Ambergris Caye, and we have many old friends there. I have to face the reality that I now have to get out of Ambergris Caye and go to Corozal Town, or Maskall to see real Belize now. I do believe many people feel the same way. One San pedrano told me he may sell out his home in San Pedro, and move to Consejo when he gets older. He said the noise drives him nuts. best-wishes, ms

Mel Sinderman
#157384 09/24/03 10:29 AM
i'd gues 50-50 San Pedro and the rest of the country

#157385 09/24/03 10:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
While I am certain your guess is far better than mine, I would think the 50/50 split would be more likely if one were to count travel dollars spent by businessmen in Belize City. But I would be stunned if recreation dollars were that evenly distributed throughout the country. But like I said, your guess is certainly more educated than mine.

#157386 09/24/03 10:37 AM
I'd guess 70 - 30.

Dare To Deviate
#157387 09/24/03 04:32 PM
My travel agency does about 60-40. Many people split the trip up and do AC & Cayo or elsewhere on the mainland. But lots just go to AC. Some just Placencia. Hardly anyone just mainland (inland). Although while in Belize one time I did meet a couple celebrating their honeymoon at Crystal Paradise (Cayo) and were not going to any beach at all - but that is rare.

#157388 09/25/03 04:10 PM
As one who works in magazine publishing, I may be able to add additional insight...

1) people don't buy travel magazines(or any other kind of magazine) that cover the same location or topic repeatedly. The importance of generating newsstand sales and attracting new readers force us to constantly write about different topics.

2) magazines target their coverage to their demographics. Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast Traveller deliver upscale audiences - thus Cayo Espanto, the Coppolla resorts, etc. are getting more coverage. No offense to the AC lovers here (flame away), but AC is not viewed as an upscale destination (maybe Mata Chica would make the cut). Frommers Budget Travel, has probably covered AC, thus is unlikely to do it again, unless they can find some new spin to put on the destination.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.