Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
http://www.stopfortis.org/CaseUpdate8_13_02.html

Read this link! It is outrages how the Belize government is handling this dam project. I would not call this democracy.

Tahnks for keeping us all updated on this. Why it's taking so long to put a stop to this is ridiculous. This is definately a "no brainer". It seems as if the people are finally getting listened to, if only a little at a time.

It's not outrageous...it's typical.
It will be interesting to see WHO in the government and the Belize Judicial system will take a stand and be counted.

When is the next election? LOL

Thanks Muni -
It's good to stay on top of things like this.
H

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
(please take this in the tone it is meant)

if you don't like it, DO SOMETHING.

sitting shaking your head doesn't help.

munichchick & i (among others) signed a petition & keep informed. see my 'fortis & the dam' link i bumped up here.

you can get as involved as you want, but don't cry the blues to me if you do nothing and the dam happens.

Jane I applaud your efforts to "do something". Besides signing a petition, what else do you think "we the people" can do?

T
T
Yes, I signed the petition too, a while ago. The website, stopfortis.org, has many updates and info, including the address to send a letter of protest to the fortis CEO. Fortis is the Canadian company which wants to build the hydorelectric dam in Belize. Also, you can get involved in such groups in the US as the Natural Resources Defense Council and the World Wildlife Fund, which is also involved in averting the "dam disaster". As a non-citizen, I think that's what we can do. I might add that I really agree with Jane on this. As a community activist in my neighborhood and city, I really try to get involved in issues, write letters, go to meetings, etc. We may not always be able to change the world, but you would amazed at the "ripple effect" one's constructive words, actions, letters and opinions can have.

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 08-20-2002).]

Thanks Trina. Sounds like a good plan.
However...I'm not in the states.
And....one more time....this is not the states. Unfortunately....things don't work the same way here.

There are groups that will ban together for a cause and that's good, but the bottom line will be either politics or money.

Sad but true.

T
T
People banding together for a cause IS politics, or a form OF politics. Sometimes, that's how any great social cause or change gets acccomplished. Not just in the US, but worldwide. Who would ever think that Nelson Mandela, after being in prison for 25+ years, would be freed and become South Africa's president? Nobody probably. But he did it.

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 08-21-2002).]

The more people that get involved and are "in the know" about this the better. I signed the petition about a year ago and also sent e-mails to alot of people I work with. Any of you constantly e-mailing aroung jokes at work? Try sending the petition address to friends that you think might at least take the time to sign.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.