Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#158939 11/25/03 03:27 PM
mobunny Offline OP
OP Offline
Just wondering if any of you have ever been to Playa del Carmen and what your experience was like there. I have friends that are trying to talk me into going for a week in March. However, I am saving my money for 2 weeks on AC next August and am not convinced any of my AC money should go to this Mexico trip. It's hard to tell what Playa del Carmen is like from the web info and message boards I have seen. Anyways, would appreciate any comments/reviews. Thanks. mobunny

#158940 11/25/03 04:55 PM
We've been there on a few day trips over the last ten years. It used to be not much more than the golf course complex, a pier and a few shops. Some friends used to go there every year because it was so quiet and laid back. I don't think that is the case anymore. We popped up there for a day from Akumal last year and I couldn't believe the change. Same beautiful beach and water, but it looked more like a downgraded Cancun. Resorts, bars along the beach, parking problems, and a whole pile of t-shirt shops, tourist traps going back a few blocks from the beach, and drunken young folks. If you are more in tune to the atmosphere of AC, you probably couldn't take it as an enjoyable interlude.
Just my opinion, of course.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#158941 11/25/03 05:21 PM
mobunny Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Bobber, I kinda thought it would be like you described. I love the atmosphere in AC and don't really think I'd enjoy Playa Del Carmen. (Although I do love beautiful beaches and water.) It will be interesting to see what my friend says about PDC in comparison to AC when she gets back. She and her husband were with us in March last year on AC and they say it was the best vacation they have ever had. Thanks again, mobunny

#158942 11/25/03 06:06 PM
No problem. Enjoyed your pictures.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#158943 11/25/03 08:57 PM
I just came back from PDC today. Its all of the above and more.

#158944 11/26/03 01:23 PM
mobunny Offline OP
OP Offline
Silkpainter, would that be a thumbs down from you then for PDC? mobunny

#158945 11/26/03 08:26 PM
I have to go to Playa about once every 2 months (to see my parole officer, just kiddin, I had you going there for a second though didn't I?). There is a 6-8 block long, first-street-off-the-beach strip, full of crappy silver shops and junk mexican/guatemalan souvenirs done up quite elegantly. Its an outdoor strip mall, and it depends on what you want out of your vacation. If you want it all inclusive, served up on a platter, then Playa is the place for you. The beach is lovely and quite often there's surf, but God forbid you sould get too close to the cruise ship terminal when boats come in herding blue haired ladies to tour busses. I like to browse the shops, but then again, I live on an island where you have to take a boat 45 minutes to buy 10 sheets of paper. This last trip to PLaya (I came back yesterday) I bought flip flops decorated with turquoise sequins, and I'm the envy of all my friends. I ate a scoop of Haagendaz ice crean ($5 U.S.-but worth it) and ate a peice of Pizza Hut pizza, a big departure from my usual rice-n-beans. I didn't find the food any more expensive than in San Pedro, and I ate at mostly local places a couple of blocks off the "strip", and never got sick. Breakfast cost me $2 and lunch typically cost around $3.50. Most people would never stray from 5th Avenue, and the all inclusive pople that stay at Playacar, never ever leave their megalithic (is that a real word?)resort. Its just so commercial, but for me its a great break from the norm. For someone else wanting a simple peaceful laid back vacation, there are way too many people for that. There are no sharks, and very little marine life in comparison to Belize. I figure they get more tourists in one week than San Pedro gets in 3 months. I spoke with Caye Caulker's new marine biologist, for the marine reserve and she said that even in Belize's worst areas of the reef, we are still in better condition than almost everywhere else in the world.

#158946 11/27/03 09:43 AM
We have some good friends who go to PDC every year for a couple weeks and we have been down twice. They rent a small beach house for $2,600 a week and it and the beach are lovely. That is a lot of money, but it is a beautiful beach. After the beach, there was not a thing I liked about the place. My husband did get sick. Which seems to be the norm in Mexico. If you like AC, don't think you will like PDC.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
#158947 11/27/03 10:24 AM
Interestingly, Continental is flying a new route from the States into PDC. From here, it's a good jumping off place to get around the Yucatan, rather than Cancun. There are a few family-run lodging places in PDC I've found to try since we're going to be doing the Puuc ruin trail in January.

#158948 11/27/03 10:41 AM
Silkpainter, Since you go to PDC so often you must have found the best way to go. Enlighten us please.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.