Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15955 - 09/05/02 01:47 AM surf n' turf
coquina Offline
Hi, My husband and I are planning a 2 week surf n' turf Aug. 2003 trip to Belize...

We booked Belizean Shores for the second week and I am having trouble deciding on a "Jungle" lodge. We plan on 3 or 4 days at the Mtn Pine Ridge area then 3 or 4 days at Hamanasi before heading to A.C.

We want to see a lot of ruins/sites in this time and tours through the resorts are just to expensive. Is it feasible to rent a 4x4 and have either Five sisters or Blancaneaux as a "base" to see a lot of the sites? Also Tikal is a must for us, is there a tour group/agency any one can recommend (don't want to do this on our own) that is reasonable.

Or am I just way in over my head and should just go with the resort's tour?

Thanks

#15956 - 09/05/02 03:36 AM Re: surf n' turf
d-jon Offline
you can e-mail at
djones@btl.net
for some info on Tikal tour agency.
Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at djones@btl.net

#15957 - 09/05/02 03:17 PM Re: surf n' turf
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Yes, you can do most of Cayo from either Blancaneaux or Five Sisters (or Hidden Valley Inn after it reopens). Blancaneaux and Five Sisters are about 45 or 50 minutes by car from San Ignacio.

On the Tikal tour you can arrange it in San Ignacio. Basically what you are buying is transportation to and from Tikal, as only Guatemalans can guide you at Tikal, and the Belize operators arrange for a local guide for you at Tikal. Or to save money you can do the transportation yourself from the border.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First www.belizefirst.com

#15958 - 09/05/02 04:20 PM Re: surf n' turf
coquina Offline
Great, Your books are fantastic! I've been lurking on this board for awhile and you give such a wealth of information when you could just say go buy my book. Thank you for your expertise! It will surely make our trip so much better. After reading your posts on Hamanasi is when we decided that we had to stay there! Now I just have to decide between Blancaneaux & Five Sisters.
Ok, one more question, should we keep the rental car during our stay at Hamanasi or drop it off before we go there? Jim at Hamanasi said most guests do not rent cars and that the roads sometimes are not marked in the area, etc. Any further suggestions would be great...Thanks again

#15959 - 09/07/02 11:38 PM Re: surf n' turf
seaman Offline
We just returned from Maruba Resort which my wife and I truely enjoy. We have traveled to many places around the world , but Maruba is by far a special place. It is just large enough that they cater to you hand and foot.
The servive is outstanding, the food to dye for, and the spa treatments are luxurious.
You can see many major mayan sites that are not so far and as dangerous as those sites are starting to be in the cayo area.
San Pedro is only 1 hour boat ride. If you do stay in San Pedro , you can arrive at Maruba by boat.I would recommend you stay there at the last part of the trip to unwind with some of their treatments and impeccable service. They are only a half hour by car to the airport.

web address; www.maruba-spa.com
1-800-maruba-7

Check them out!!

Seaman

#15960 - 09/08/02 01:35 AM Re: surf n' turf
coquina Offline
Thanks, I'll check them out!

#15961 - 09/08/02 09:14 PM Re: surf n' turf
karin Offline
If you book a package (including excursions) at Hamanasi, no need for a car.. but if you only book the room and are not planning to take excursions with the resort, then it might be usefull to have a car... Have fun ! Hopkins is a great little place and Hamanasi is very nice...

#15962 - 09/09/02 01:40 AM Re: surf n' turf
coquina Offline
Thanks Karin, Do you think it would be better just to stay at Hamanasi the whole week and not do the "jungle/forest" lodge? Also what about other restaurants (for a little variety) if we do stay at Hamanasi for the week. If we don't have a vehicle are they accessible by walking or bike? I just don't want to feel like I'm stranded, for lack of a better word. Plus I would loveto see Hopkins. But if all this is doable from Hamanasi and we don't have to rent a car then that is the best idea yet.
I'm thinking maybe do Hamanasi for 6 days (do a couple tours) then catch the overnight Tikal tour with Tropic Air then we will end up in San Pedro ready for our week on A.C. Thanks and I look forward to your reply!

P.S. I'm always afraid I'll miss something! LOL

#15963 - 09/09/02 04:55 AM Re: surf n' turf
seaman Offline
What is it you want to do???
There is only a certain amount you can do from down south. Most of the excavated sites are in the northen part of Belize.Lately Tikal is better to fly to due to the disterbances in the area.
Lamani and Altun Ha are the most popular ruins as well as better excavated sites in the country. You need to find out what you really want to experience. Do you want seclusion or a bit of variety????

Seaman

#15964 - 09/09/02 04:43 PM Re: surf n' turf
coquina Offline
Hi Seaman, My problem is I want both! LoL! But Hamanasi has a "magical ruin tour" that takes you to Xunantunich & Cahal Pech and then one to Blue Hole National Park and to Antelope Falls. So if we do these and then take Tropic's overnight Tikal tour before heading to A.C. I think we will see some sites and have plenty of relaxing and seclusion. We don't have to see everything on our first trip and it might of gotten to hectic anyway if we tried-I think this will be the perfect balance (as long as we can explore some while at Hamanasi without a car). Thanks for all your help, a day trip to Maruba from A.C. would be great...that place looks beautiful!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.