Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#161665 03/05/04 03:39 PM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone. Have been lurking here for a while trying to get to know a bit about Ambergris Caye and Belize while planning a trip there with a friend. We won't be coming until next year so have plenty of time to research and plan. I am curious about Malaria and what most regular visitors and locals do. We come from the UK and are advised to take Malaria tablets daily. We also know there are unpleasant side effects so would like to become better informed by those in the know before making decisions. I would also like to know about staying long term. Do you continue to take Malaria tablets or is there a point when you stop? I would be grateful for any advice on this. Thanks so much.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

#161666 03/05/04 08:12 PM
T
T
are the side effects worse than malaria?....if so, you've got some thinking to do...

#161667 03/05/04 08:14 PM
Collyk, if you'll be in the jungle for great lengths of time it might be prudent, but in all my trips to belize and central america I have never taken the med's and didn't feel like I needed too. Good repelents are a must in the summer over in the jungle though. Happy planning.

#161668 03/06/04 05:51 AM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I have now learned to use the 'search' facility on the board (duh!) and have found tons of useful information. I shall use this more often in future. We are so excited about our trip and even though it is a year away it is the thing getting us through this dreary winter in London.

www.conchcreative.com

#161669 03/08/04 12:51 PM
N
N
Being London based to I think we should make it clear that every winter in london id dreary!

You will not be disappointed with Belize - despite it being part of the Commonwealth we only discovered it 3 1/2 years ago and have not only been going back since but have now got a base there, which we hope will not blow away in te next hurricane!

Re your question, we took malaria tablets the first time we went but not since. I understand, however, that malaria is a greater risk in the jungle in the south of the country.

Nick

#161670 03/08/04 04:36 PM
OK, all you Londoners, let's start thinking sunshine for the coming week! We're on our way tomorrow with the longjohns and brollys but the internet weather has little partly sunny symbolsposted for most of the days of our visit laugh laugh cool Do that for us and we'll hex the hurricanes for you.

#161671 08/29/04 01:25 AM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
only just saw this reply nick and ckocian...nick thanks for the advice..not all london summers are dreary...last years was positively scorchio...but I am already going into hibernation stasis given that it is still August and people are wearing parkas! I'm still not sure what I am going to do about malaria pills.

Eeek ckocian..I am so sorry but I know how horrible it has been for your visit...hope you still had fun!

www.conchcreative.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.