Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#16222 - 02/27/03 04:44 PM car rental - exciting routes?
christa b Offline
Hi!
I am driving in April from BZE to San Ignacio (Aguada) and the to Placenia (Robert's Inn) before returning back to BZE (six days). I would love any suggestions for great stops to make, suggested routes, etc. We decided to rent a car because we love the whole idea of exploring on our own.

Also, what sort of daily rate should we be able to get? The least expenzive that I have found so far is $65USD for a Suzuki.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!!!!!!!

#16223 - 02/27/03 05:39 PM Re: car rental - exciting routes?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
By far the most scenic drive in Belize is the Hummingbird. You'll be going that way to Placencia.

Stops along the Western Hwy to San Ignacio: Belize Zoo, with a cold drink or snack at JB's or Cheers; Guanacaste park near Belmopan; Belmopan (10 minutes to see it); Spanish Lookout Mennonite area.

Stops along the Hummingbird: Blue Hole & St. Herman's Cave; Five Blues Park; old railroad bridges; Dangriga; Hopkins; Cockscomb Preserve.

--Lan Sluder

#16224 - 02/27/03 08:35 PM Re: car rental - exciting routes?
snowbird Offline
christa b - My mom & i did the same thing last Feb. We only had 3 days and really went to go to Tikal but what a great adventure! We also stayed at the Aguada which we LOVED. We did our trip to Tikal w/their help. Everyone there was awesome and can help w/tours/trips/tips on things to see -anything really. I would suggest a stop at one of the butterfly farms - a highlight for sure. We went to Green Hills and thought the Mountain Pine Ridge area was beautiful. No time for the caves or river tubing but would love to try that next time. The zoo was a fun stop and we did stop @ JB's for lunch, beautiful view from the back. Driving was not really a problem. The main highways were in great shape, it was the back roads that were a little tougher. Maybe during rainier weather we wouldn't have adventured onto some of them. Have a good map and ENJOY!

#16225 - 02/27/03 11:35 PM Re: car rental - exciting routes?
mountain Larry Offline
Christa, Compared to American standards the number of roads is limited but as Lan said the Hummingbird Highway is beautiful, well worth exploring. The last 25 miles or so before you hit Placencia are rough, mad you have to go pretty slow. Also I noticed that the roads are a heck of lot better than the bridges. I can't wait to take the trip again in June. :p ML

#16226 - 02/28/03 12:58 AM Re: car rental - exciting routes?
Barbara K Offline
I suggest you buy a copy of the Driver's Guide to Beautiful Belize before you go. Lots of interesting info, mile by mile details and good maps. I think Lan has them available from his site. You can wait till you get there but many of the hotel gift shops in BZ City sell out of them. Better to get it before you go.

The $65/day for the Suzuki is about as checp as it gets!

#16227 - 02/28/03 05:37 PM Re: car rental - exciting routes?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
On the Driver's Guide, Emory King tells me the new 2003 guide is now out. I'm awaiting a shipment.

--Lan Sluder

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.