Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#164815 - 06/07/04 08:22 PM Transporting stuff to A.C.
coolcat Offline
Hey there folks!
Anybody ever try getting a fairly large "boombox" or a massage table into Belize/A.C.?Is it a drag?Can it be done?Extra fees?
Thanks.

#164816 - 06/07/04 08:49 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
Pedro1 Offline
No problem-cargo(shipping) -fairly expensive on carry on luggage.

#164817 - 06/07/04 09:30 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
Tom Offline
Coolcat,

Have to agree with Pedro1 on this one. Airlines are charging about $100.00 US for any extra or oversize luggage. You can check with your airline on this issue, usally the info is on their web-site.
Kat

#164818 - 06/07/04 09:49 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
coolcat Offline
Thanks Pedro1 and Kat.Would that cargo be the same plane?What kind of fees are for cargo...like by the pound,dimensions??

#164819 - 06/07/04 09:50 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
coolcat Offline
Oh yeah..and what about the little Tropic Air type planes?Do they haul big items?What about the ferry?

#164820 - 06/07/04 11:58 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
Anonymous
Coolcat,
When we sent our massage table down, we shipped via Hyde Shipping. They do a great job, if you are east coast based.....
Cheerz!

#164821 - 06/08/04 01:52 AM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
kerry Offline
i just came down with my desktop computer on continental...they allow 2 check in bags per person...can be up to 70 lbs each...check with the airline and they can tell you maximum measurements....i had no problems getting it here...tropic air couldn't fit it on the flight i was on, but, they delvered it to my hotel in the morning....all i had to do at customs in bze, was pay sales tax, so it is a good idea to have your receipt...good luck!!!! kerry

#164822 - 06/08/04 07:49 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
coolcat Offline
Thank you Ibanole.I will keep that in mind.I live in New York and I'll check out Hyde Shipping.Do they have a website?What exactly does one do.Would they come to me and pick it up?Would I have to drop it off?I would imagine there would be some signing off either at BZ airport or in A.C??
Thanks

#164823 - 06/08/04 07:55 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
coolcat Offline
Ibanole...I found their site.They are Miami based.I will contact them to see what's what.I have the feeling I'll be on my own as far as getting my cargo to them.
Just a thought.Has anyone ever heard of getting on board and making the trip with a cargo company?Obviously the goal here would be to have fun for less$$.

#164824 - 06/08/04 08:49 PM Re: Transporting stuff to A.C.
SFJeff Offline
One thing to consider: If you CAN bring the goods down as oversized luggage, there is a 'slight' chance you can walk them through customs w/ out paying duty on them (depending on the whims of the person you deal with, if you can convince them the items are for personal use/that you are taking them back OUT of the country when you leave, etc.) If you ship them down, you WILL pay duty, possibly at the assessed value (as opposed to declared value, again, depending on who you deal with and what kind of mood they are in that day.) You will also pay sales tax... I'd call Hyde (Nelson or Benny) and get a quote and then decide. You WILL need to ship the goods to Hyde in Medley. You'll also need to figure out how best to get them from Belize City/port to San Pedro (that is, if San Pedro is where you are heading.) Tropic will fly them on a space-available basis... cheaper option might be to put them on the Thunderbolt (http://www.ambergriscaye.com/thunderbolt) They can carry freight and have boats going several times a day.
As far as I know Hyde does not let passengers on their vessels. Neither does Amerijet (www.amerijet.com) who has cargo flights from Miami to BZE every week...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.