Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
A question for residents of San Pedro:

If I understand correctly, both Caye Caulker and San Pedro are getting a new local area code, as of May. Apparently the two islands will share one area code, 226?

It looks like on Caulker that will mean most numbers will change.

Is that going to be the case on Ambergris Caye also?

Also, is it true that with the new system everyone will have to dial 7-digit numbers even locally?

How will that affect incoming calls from, say, the U.S.?

I'm having trouble, duh, getting information from BTL.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I'm SHOCKED that you are having trouble getting info from BTL. Where did you pick up about the change. I've not heard a thing, and it sure seems like if this is to take place in May that there would have been a lot of conversation, since all of the resorts and residences would change. This could very well be another brainchild of the BZ "Tourism Prevention" Bureau. Hey, let's just change all the phone numbers with 90 days notice and screw up all the resorts, commerce, and social communications on AC and CC.

OK, so I'm a bit cycnical. I guess as long as the water and power are on for most of the day ever ting gonna be alright.

We already have to dial the whole 7 digit phone number here on Caye Caulker. I havent heard a thing about the area code change though. I'll ask about it when I pay my phone bill, or better yet, tonight, when I eat at Jolly Roger's BBQ. Roger is the security guard for the BTL office on Caye Caulker and has a wonderful outdoor restaurant with his wife Eva in their side yard. http://www.cybercayecaulker.com/jollyrogers.htm
Not that any of that information is even relevant to the area code change, its just a shameless plug for Roger.
Should I even sign this?
--Silk
www.caribbean-colors.com

Se the San Pedro Sun tomorrow morning (NOT TIL friday AM) for a lil more information here...
http://SanPedroSun.net

KC Offline
Hmmmm. someone must have stirred the sleeping dog. I just heard that after a seven month wait, BTL has decided that they can install a phone in our house. This is progress. Now that they have decided that they "can", in another seven months we MIGHT actually have a phone. I am ecstatic. Can anyone with experience tell me if the $500 US deposit they require turns into a donation in the end? <sigh>

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Its official - as per Jolly Roger (the BTL security guard here on Caye Caulker) The area codes change in May. He yelled that to me as he rode by on his bike (only 3 cars on the whole island).

KC - I just about choked (fainted/threw up)when I found out that I had to do a 1000 bz deposit for the gallery phone, so I got a telecard phone and the deposit was 500 bz to establish an account. You supposedly get your deposit back after 2 years. Then, when I wanted to add another phone line for visa/mastercard and internet/email (and it couldn't be a telecard line, I was able to do it without an additional deposit, because I had an established phone account. I still don't understand why anyone would have to pay such a high deposit for the telecard phone, since you use a BTL card when calling out, you have no call charges, except the monthly line fee, but oh well, sometimes things dont make any sense.
--Silk

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.