Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167141 02/19/02 10:44 AM
OP Offline
We recently received a really negative trip report on Portofino, from a couple who had honeymooned there in January. While, as they say, you can't please everybody, this couple apparently did have an authentically bad experience.

Anybody have any counterbalancing good experiences to report?

--Lan Sluder

Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
UpClose Central America
San Pedro Cool (coming soon)

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#167142 02/19/02 01:04 PM
D
D
It's unfortunate that you heard such negative things about such a wonderful resort. Maybe your source had something else they were expecting, but my wife and I just returned from Portofino and absolutely loved it. It is not what you think of when you think of five star, real classy all inclusive resorts, but NOTHING in Ambergris is.
What Portifino is, is a real beautiful island resort with excellent accomodations, very good food, and a beautiful beach, with staff that is eager to help and make your stay memorable.
What is probably the best about Portofino is the owner, Sandra. She has, obviously, a real vested interest in her resort, and basically makes sure that you are having a wonderful time, at all costs.
She actually comes to the dock and greats every guest, and explains everything with a terrific smile.(including having her terrific bartender make you a great welcome drink)
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and when we go back to Belize we would surely love to stay once again at Portofino.
On the other hand, I could see how some may not like the kind of seclusion, and the more "out of the mainstream" environment that ALL OF BELIZE is like, and if you want a place that has nice beaches, along with either an "ultra" all inclusive plan, or a place that caters to you every whim with satellite TV, phones, gym, pool, watersports, five star dining, then Belize as a whole isn't really for you (except for maybe one exception I have heard about)
BUT, if you are looking for an out of the way tropical eden, where you can eat good food, dive in some of the best places around, and have a beautifully relaxed trip, then Belize is the place, and Portofino is probably more beautiful, and ready to accomodate you than any other resort down there...
Anyway, hope this gives you another aspect. Feel free to write me if you have any other questions about Belize or Portofino.
Joshua

#167143 02/19/02 01:15 PM
D
D
I just read up on you, and I realize that you already know a great deal more about Belize as a whole than I could ever tell you. So sorry about my dragging on.
But I really did love Portofino, and I think they are doing a beautiful job at making it a truly first class resort.
If you do need more info on the resort, I would be happy to tell you more about our stay.
Sorry once again,
Joshua

#167144 02/19/02 01:35 PM
J
J
In the last few weeks i moved back to the states but lived on Ambergris for 16 months and visited Portofino many times during my walks north and a few lunch's. I did get to know Sandra and her husband over the months and during one of my walks she showed me all the rooms. They rooms are nicely decorated and i would love to stay there if i where on vacation. Also the lunch's i had there where great. If people dont mind being about 6 miles north of san pedro then give it a try. Just my opinion. Josh

#167145 02/19/02 02:25 PM
M
M
Josh!! Are you the "Josh and Amy" Josh we met last June? Remember we brought you Micro Brews from the US? You where going to Playa del Carmen the next day so we could not meet again. I hope all is well with you and Amy.
Did you sell your condo on AC? Why did you leave?

#167146 02/19/02 05:48 PM
J
J
Yup Josh &Amy
Money was tight so i decided to go back to the states and have recently been taking some trips to South Carolina and really liked it so i starting searching for jobs and just got really lucky. To make a long story short im the new Head Brewer of Hilton Head Brewing Co.
So as you can see i loved the beer you brought me and will never forget the favor.
Email directly if you want.
[email protected]
Josh

#167147 02/20/02 11:16 AM
Dear Lan,

Sometimes it is easier to believe the negative. In order to get a balanced opinion about our resort, we would recommend you to look at http://www.belizeforum.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001446.html or just come and visit us!

We only received a copy of this letter yesterday late afternoon, so we could not react earlier, but when you look at the statement about the room rates in the second paragraph, and compare it to our web site www.portofinobelize.com you can easily see that many things in this letter don't add up.

We are planning to make a guest book section on our web page, as many of our guests have requested that. Next time, just contact us for a reaction.

Kindest Regards,
Jan van Noord
PORTOFINO

---------
i fixed the links above to make em work
---------

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 02-20-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.