Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167195 09/26/04 09:55 PM
Teenah Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear Chloe, Seashell,NY, Denny, Dobie, Chucky Bob,
Skully Boy, Ernie, and everyone who has interest in my daughter Haley, I just thought I would share some news. After a heated argument with my husband, I finally agreed with Haley to let her play volleyball in the 6th grade. Because of her cerebral palsy, she only has the use of her right side of the body. Her coordination is poor, her visual tracking is even worse. She has seizure disorder. Needless to say, you can imagine what has run through my mind. Last Tuesday was our first game day. I watched nervously as the team
worked through the rotation. When Haley stepped in the the server's position, I felt my stomach turn. How was she going to serve a volleyball clear over that net? All I could think of was, "Please God, don't let her be embarrassed".
Much to my surprise, she stepped into the square,
threw the ball high in the air with her functional right hand, and when it came down, she hit that sucker over the net!!! She ended up scoring several points. She was so proud and her team was so proud of her. Haley has taught so many during her 11 years and I'm very proud of her.

Thanks for letting me share my exuberance!

Teenah

Ah, Teenah!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!! smile smile

That's fantastic! Good for her, good for her and now go and kiss your husband too, for good measure. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

dont' know haley, but here's one more cheering her on!!!! you go girl...strong people overcome their handicaps....and i am sure she will continue to do so!!! good luck haley on your next game!!!

Way to go Haley!! Sometimes, as parents, we are forced to sit back and let them find out for themselves if they can accomplish the things they want to accomplish.

I can only imagine the satisfaction that she must have felt at that moment. Sometimes the only real handicap a person has... is ourselves. laugh

CONGRATULATIONS to HALEY and her parents. What a trooper you were Teenah !

It's all about TEAM work. She is part of the family team and the school team. Good for her and you.

I too am proud of Haley........please tell her so smile

Way to go Haley laugh

Teenah... excuse my ignorance here, but I am having a hard time visualizing this. You mentioned that Haley only has use of her right side? I am assuming no use of the left side then. How does she accomplish the game then? Is she in a wheelchair? How did she make the shot?

Teenah Offline OP
OP Offline
Denny,

Haley's bleed (stroke) was in her right brain causing her left leg to be smaller than the right and is very spastic (tight). Her toe points and her knee is drawn towards the right knee. She walks pretty well, but with a limp. When she's feeling well, she can even run, though it's not "pretty." She'll be having her hamstring and heelcord tendons lengthened soon and that should help. Although she can move it, her left arm is usually drawn to her chest and her hand turns downward in a fist. It's not much use to her during volley ball because she has to grab it with her good arm, yank it into place and try to hit the ball. Because it is also tight, sometimes it's a battle between the right and left arms!
Forget serving the ball...it's of no use to her. She basically just throws it up in the air and hits it with the same hand. We are in the processes of setting her up for some hand studies to assess her for a tendon transfer in her hand. It will put her hand into a position that will make it easier for her to use.

Her eyes don't process images well and sometimes she doesn't "see" things. Not a problem with her eyes, but with her brain being unable to register. Her team mates are really good about letting her know when there's a ball coming towards her. It's just much harder for her.

As I told you before, Haley is pretty much a best case scenario when you consider the extent of her brain injury. We're very lucky that her disabilities are so manageable, but we've all worked really hard to help her reach her potential. My goal is independent living....something her physicians told me would never happen. We'll show em' smile

Haley just continues to amaze those in her life with her tenacity, her wonderful disposition,love of life and pure soul. Somedays I feel a little overwhelmed, but most days I feel very lucky.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I'll pass them on to Haley. Our next game is tomorrow and I'll keep you posted.

O
O
Teenah,
My nephew had that surgery, stretching the tendons in both legs. He also has cerebal palsy. He had it done when he was five,he could not walk, he is now, 28 and you cannot keep him off is feet. He has won many Gold Medals in the special olympics for speed skating. He works part time at the grocery store as a bagger.So, it is wonderful to see that special kids with special needs can accomplish almost anything. The are strong hearted and stubborn, that is what makes them the best. They are always the ones saying that they can do it, the hard part for you and my sister, is letting them try.
Jackie

Ah ok Teenah... now I get the picture. Her drive and determination is incredible. Just goes to show you... you can really do anything that you set your mind to do. laugh

Teenah Offline OP
OP Offline
That's great to hear Jackie. Haley has already had the tendon lengthening done as well and it was after it was done the first time at around 2 1/2 that she began to walk. She has also had lots of Botox injections to release the spasticity in her tight muscles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,469
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.