Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#16867 07/17/03 08:35 AM
K
kippe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Does anybody have any thoughts/knowledge about Long Caye?

#16868 07/17/03 08:41 AM
Just a site to view...

http://www.longcayebelize.com/

I think someone from this board was purchasing there.

#16869 07/17/03 02:53 PM
K
kippe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks! Have actually looked at the site and I thought the price for the parcels was reasonable. Don't trust those sites though, telling you how wonderful everything is. Hopefully there is somebody out there that has hands on experience and is not to busy haggling with lotusflames to check other posts!

#16870 07/17/03 08:36 PM
I think the parcels of land are ludicrously expensive,and who knows what will actually end up being built there.

#16871 07/18/03 01:28 PM
Don't let them get you drunk and make you sign a bunch of papers!!

Gone fishing!!
#16872 07/18/03 02:15 PM
K
kippe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you! Now I know! Had a feeling something was not right! Anybody have any suggestions for land purchase anywhere else? I don't have a lot of money :rolleyes: , I am the one that always tell people to eat at the food stands in the park and rent a room laugh !
Can't wait to get back down, this time for the duration! Just don't tell me to buy a condo or anything, no can do! Don't want to, actually, even if I could.

#16873 07/18/03 02:31 PM
M
M
large lots on high ground on placencia peninsula. email gbtv@btl and ask for Stewart. If you are serious, contact Madeline at Emerald Futures, one of the better agents in the country-

Maya Travel Services
#16874 07/18/03 02:49 PM
K
kippe Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks again! I am serious!

#16875 07/18/03 03:43 PM
S
S
Levittowns on tropical islands never turn out as advertised, and the developers usually go BK. People who buy into levittowns want all kinds of services and everything at their fingertips (or they wouldn't buy into a levittown, they'd go somewhere and do their own thing, knowing that they have to put in their own infrastructure and be self sufficient, like we are doing.) The developers promise services, but of course, businesses will not invest in the services (dive shops, stores, restaurants, medical clinics. etc.) until there is a critical mass of residents. And there won't be without the services.
So..the first row (beachfront) lots sell like hotcakes, maybe 2% of the buyers actually build, no services come, the rest of the buyers keep waiting to build until there are services, and eventually, the developers pull out. The few people who build will probably have lovely places (because the rest of the levittown didn't materialize).
I am watching this happening right now in Bocas del Toro archipelago in Panama and I can almost guarantee that it will happen on Long Caye too.
If you want to live in a "planned community" (levittown) you're probably better off in the US, in some coastal town.
Frankly, I am glad that Long Caye will never be what it is advertised to be because the environment cannot support the infrastructure for such a large development.
If being right near diving and snorkeling isn't important to you but you want reasonable prices, services within a reasonable drive and Belizean ambiance, try Consejo Shores north of Corozal. If you want to live on AC, there are plenty of lots for sale up north, and some very nice houses for sale in or near town. They are quite expensive (if on the waterfront, though there are some good deals a street or two back) and the cost of living on AC is high. There are also lots of condos for sale but you said you don't want a condo.
My advice is to make a decision tree and figure out where you want to live, why you want to live there, what your top 20 requirements are, and what your budget is. Then travel to the places that seem like they might meet those needs and spend some time there, talk to locals and other expats.
Buy Lan Sluders Adapter Kit Belize. You might also want to check out www.belizenorth.com for a lot of info on Northern Belize and the Corozal/Consejo area.
Placencia area is very beautiful and land prices may be more reasonable than AC but it is also very expensive to live there unless you plan to live off the land, rural Belizean style. It is remote, transportation is very expensive, shipping things there is pricey, there are few places to buy stuff, and public utilities are in a sorry mess. The people there still cannot get decent plain old telephone service.
If you are not in the "money is no object" category I think northern Belize, in the Corozal area and thereabouts is your best bet. Everything is cheaper there, especially energy, all kinds of shopping, medical services, etc. is very close by in Chetumal. The downside is that you are not near the reef and it does not have the clear water for diving and snorkeling that you have on AC (but the swimming is fine!)

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#16876 07/18/03 04:19 PM
kippe, we bought on the mainland between Dangriga and Hopkins, lots of sea frontage. Lovely area, at least we have no complaints smile

Each to their own preferences of where to live.

We eventually will live there. Right now it's being cleared and we have the dock in too. laugh

Hopefully we will have visitors from everywhere to will come to see us. smile

Another reason for a reunion..... cool

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.