Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17030 08/28/03 03:06 PM
T
OP Offline
T
We had an awesome time! Can't take long to go into lengthy details, but wanted to first of all thank everyone for their advice and secondly give our impressions:

We stayed with Roy Smith in Cayo and were very happy, more because of his warmth and that of his MANY long-term residents than the actual huts. In actual fact, our bed fell through the floor! just floor rot, not any action on our part!!!

Hodes hasn't been made mention of enough! Great food, great atmosphere, very relaxing. And as vegetarians, we found more than enough food to eat.

Also ate at Roy's sister's joint, just before the taxi terminal, a little blue hut. The cook makes the best fry jack we tasted. And cheeeeeeeeeeap!

Had an absolutely outstanding tour of Aktun Tunichil Muknal caves with PacZ, booked through Eva's. Our guide was very knowledgeable, even to the level of suggesting which translation of a book was best for further reading. We ached for days afterwards and loved every minute of it. While on that tour another group from Mayawalk were behind us by about an hour. They were significantly less thrilled than us, so we did well we guess.

Took a taxi to la frontera for 8 BZE. Grabbed a shuttle on the other side to Tikal, stayed at the Jaguar, and enjoyed our day and half at Tikal. However, there were so many visitors, even during rainy season, that it seemed less awe-inspiring than expected.

Did also go to Xunantunich and the ruins in San Ignacio (name escapes me). The visitor center at the SI ruins has a wonderful, informative 40 minutes video worth sitting through in its entirety. Made our visits to the ruins much more meaningful.

Ate at Clarissa Falls--yum! Thanks for that suggestion all!!!!

Cave tubing--yuck. The guide knew almost nothing and it took about an hour of paddling to get out of the caves, the entire hour with zero commentary from the guide.

At the end of the trip we went to Caye Caulker by water taxi. Love the water taxi! Stayed at Mara's place and felt like we were in the lap of luxury. Ate more lobster than we wanted, so much so that we got tired of it! Took Raggamuffin's sail-boat tour to the reefs for snorkeling and loved our guides. Also loved the slow-pace of sailing v. the motor boats of the other tours.

It was a great trip. Once the pictures are in I'll post a link! Thanks again everyone!!!! :p

#17031 08/28/03 03:57 PM
Hi Tinmouse: Thanks for the trip flick. I do agree about Hodes being really a wonderful experience. Its a gift to locals and their children, they really love that place. I would just hate to see tourist flock in, menu change, price goes up. So, let's keep it a secret. Did you have a chance to have a meal at Serendip's. I would imagine that it would be vegetarian paradise. I always enjoy the Curried Shrimp w/Savory Rice. One of my all time favorite meals...anywhere. Lookin forward to the pictures. Bill PS. Cauwe Peche (misspelled of course) (did I misspell misspell?)

Gone fishing!!
#17032 08/28/03 04:05 PM
E
E
Pedro will let you know !

#17033 08/28/03 05:56 PM
Cahal Pech perhaps? wink

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#17034 08/28/03 11:06 PM
G
G
hey all!
i agree! smith family farm (roy's place) remains a sweet little garden hide out in cayo, i stayed there for the third time for my first week in belize this summer. his sister's bun shop is great for all kinds of yummy things. go early cos they sell out early! i went to hode's place one night and i really enjoyed it. the huge backyard is excellent, with trees and umbrellas and space in the grass. i loved the variety of seating options and that there was a playground for kids there. BINGO! was being played the night i stopped in for beans & rice & salad. better bingo than karaoke, in my opinion.

after six trips to belize, my actun tunichel muknal cave trip remains a life highlight adventure i would never trade. i feel lucky to have been to the places i visited already when i read about suffering environments and potential for future over touristing (kinda like over fishing) of certain areas of belize. none of the local hotel owners i talked to were excited about the proposed influx of cruise ship passengers in 150 person excursion groups to cave tube or do whatever activity. for a place based on "eco" tourism belize faces a tough job of balancing the eco with the tourism. once places are ruined they cannot be recovered.

walk in peace, pals
gogo

#17035 08/29/03 11:40 AM
Wow, Tin, how did I miss you. We probably crossed paths at Evas. Loved your trip report as we did different things and I see some things on your report I will have to do next time. I posted a report but Marty may have to move it as I've posted on the "About Amber" thread. Glad you had a great time - look forward to the pics also.

#17036 08/29/03 12:12 PM
"for a place based on "eco" tourism belize faces a tough job of balancing the eco with the tourism. once places are ruined they cannot be recovered."

Amen to that! I make it a point to speak to the tourist board (and whoever else will listen) at every tradeshow I attend about this issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.