Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#170373 - 12/12/04 07:34 PM What happened to the Yucatan Express??
sassnfun Offline
There was a big to-doo a couple years ago here in Tampa and it ran out to the Yucatan they say it wasn't worth while to sit in harbor and went out of business??My question is wouldn't it be a good idea for it to run to Belize City and maybe stop in Texas and then Tampa?? confused

#170374 - 12/12/04 08:32 PM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
sassnfun Offline
I did a search and nothing lately has been posted in here.I decided just to start a new thread...

#170375 - 12/12/04 09:06 PM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
klcman Offline
It was the winter run for the ferry, Scotia Price tnat runs between Portland, ME and Nova Scotia. Lot sof reasons were given for discontinuance - politics - berthing time, etc., but the bottom line was - NEB.....Not Enough Business to make it viable for continuation.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#170376 - 12/12/04 09:22 PM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
sassnfun Offline
well maybe they had the wrong route plan.KLC did it benefit the Island while it was running??

#170377 - 12/12/04 09:52 PM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
klcman Offline
I can't speak directly to that with any degree of quantification, but since it ran to the upper Yucatan, miles and miles away, and for a short time period, I can't imagine it had "much" direct island benefit.

#170378 - 12/12/04 10:40 PM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
sassnfun Offline
oh well maybe they would be better off adding belize city to the route if politics could be avoided.how many miles is it to the area they were docking in the yucatan? it just seems to me a cheaper form of transportation is needed back and forth to Belize from the states...Is Airfare strangely priced or is it me? eek

#170379 - 12/12/04 11:10 PM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
klcman Offline
The route was Miami-Merida. According to their website, nothing is going to happen until, at the earliest, fall 2005.....

Due to the lack of a second port in the Yucatan Peninsula, we need to delay the resumption of the Yucatan Express. This has been a hard decision for us - we have been working very hard to find a solution to the inaccessibility of Puerto Morelos - but we have run out of time for this season and it is clear that the route cannot work with just one port. We did have great loads through the end of last season but it is just not cost effective to have our ship sitting idle half the week.

The GOOD NEWS is that we do believe in the Florida-Mexico market and will continue working hard to resolve the issues which have necessitated this interim delay in service. We continue to work on channel dredging for Morelos and hope to begin accepting vacation reservations early next year for recommencement of Yucatan Express service in Nov '05.

We are appreciative of the tremendous support and encouragement we continue to receive from vacationers, the Tampa Port Authority, the media and the travel trade. Thank you for your patience.

Equitably priced airfare is, like beauty, recognized in the eyes of the beholder. And, about as easy to define! Market shares and competition, fuel prices, US weather all contribute. But, look at this way, a RT flight from here in the NE to BZE, about 5200 miles, runs usually under $600. Can you drive your car anywhere for under 12 cents per mile?

#170380 - 12/12/04 11:27 PM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
sassnfun Offline
True....good point I guess thats why I racked up all these frequent flyer miles to fly to belize.works for me smile and after I win Jeffs condo with all that booze I will be a happy camper!! whoooo Hooo! of course I will need help drinking it from the locals

#170381 - 12/13/04 04:38 AM Re: What happened to the Yucatan Express??
kcbc Offline
We were lucky enough to make a trip on the Yucatan Express before it halted its operation.
We could locate only about ten people continuing on down to Belize. Large amount of Canadians on board and the majority had second homes in Mexico.
The ferry needs to try to pick up more Mexicans going back and forth and it does need the second port. Think that their freight business was doing fairly well.
I think that my trip report is still somewhere on the archives of this site.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,255 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.