Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#170565 12/22/04 03:21 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Question for those who have been in Belize for awhile.

A close friend here received a blank US$ check from a third party for services rendered and cashed it at a local money exchange. The check (made out at this point directly to the money exchange, or whoever they sold it to, I'm not sure which...) eventually made it's way back to the money exchange and turned out to be NSF. No verification was done on available funds at the time of the check's initial cashing. The money exchange is attempting to hold my friend responsible for the check even though he is not the signer or account holder or even on the check itself.

I only know how this would be handled in the states. The person who wrote, signed and is the account holder of the check is responsible for it. Not the recipient of the funds. In some instances, when deposited, your account may be debited a fee but ultimately the writer of the check is still responsible for its confused validity. It would, in a case like this, be the check casher's responsibility to verify funds prior to dispursing them.

Are things that different here in Belize?

cheers!
#170566 12/22/04 04:43 PM
Here in the US, if you cash a check at a 3rd party (say a grocery store) that is WRITTEN TO YOU and you received the funds for it, then it turned out to be NSF, the grocery store will contact YOU for the funds.

This happened to me (years ago); I checked it out; the grocery store was correct and I had to pay the money to the grocery store.

#170567 12/22/04 04:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The law on this varies from state to state. In Ca, if you could get someone to take a third party check, the person who initially drafted the check is responsible.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.