Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#17171 - 09/15/03 02:54 PM Tobacco Caye
ga peach Offline
We plan on spending 5 nights on Tobacco Caye next May. Any info would be appreciated from some of you who have been there and done that. I have already read everything I could find on this forum. I'm hungry for more info. Is there any type of "store" on the caye? Do they have a ferry to the mainland everyday? Then we plan on spending 5 nights somewhere around the Placencia. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks GP

#17172 - 09/15/03 05:25 PM Re: Tobacco Caye
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
No, no store, no shops, no restaurants (except at the hotels.) The island is VERY small, maybe 4 or 5 acres. There's no ferry to the island but boats from Dangriga make the trip daily for around Us$15 a person. I'd recommend Captain Buck.

--Lan Sluder

#17173 - 09/15/03 05:30 PM Re: Tobacco Caye
ga peach Offline
Is $15 for round trip? Also, does Dangriga have a liquor store? Thanks for your reply.

#17174 - 09/15/03 11:19 PM Re: Tobacco Caye
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
If I'm recalling correctly, it's $15 each way. Yes, you can buy booze in most any grocery in Dangriga.

--Lan Sluder

#17175 - 09/16/03 02:15 AM Re: Tobacco Caye
ga peach Offline
Thanks Lan, you are a gem....please forgive me if I ask stupid questions for the next 8 months..but I am going to be soooooo dreaming about this trip. I know that the Tobacco Caye trip probably won't be for everybody, but I think it will be just perfect for us. Also, I am looking forward to spending time in Palencia. We love AC but know that there is so much more to see in Belize. Cheerz..Carol from Atlanta

#17176 - 09/16/03 04:38 PM Re: Tobacco Caye
beach bob Offline
Miss Peach:

Sounds like quite the Gilligan's Island adventure, hopefully w/o the tragic aspects wink

While daytripping on Caye Caulker in July I saw one of the tour operator's signs that advertised a sailing trip, 3 or 4 days I think? Get on a sailboat, sail to Tobacco Caye, camp overnight, sail again to another Caye, same again, camp, debark in Placencia. Trip included boat captain, camping gear, & food; all I'd need would be some friends, my guitar, and plenty of rum. Very intriuging...

Be sure to post a report here on your temporary exile on a tropical isle laugh

#17177 - 09/17/03 03:58 PM Re: Tobacco Caye
gogo Offline
carol---

there's a lee small snack shop on TC now called "mi hungry". but better to pack some sodas & rum and snacks from the grocery store in dangrgiga that's right by the river. i kick myself for not buying jars of the "belicious" brand peanut butter sold there (and nowhere else i went after!) i recommend tobacco caye lodge for good food & the nicest accomodations on the island, definitely in your price range.

as a connection between placencia and tobacco caye, consider sailing with japs. he could take you from placencia to TC or in reverse, pick you up and sail you to placencia from tc. contact him thru the secret garden web page. he's a super captain and the boat is sweet & your own private vessel.

have a great trip...

gogo

#17178 - 09/30/03 03:24 PM Re: Tobacco Caye
bread Offline
Does E. Fairweather still have a place on Tobacco Caye?

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.