Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172521 - 01/18/05 10:43 PM A good beach read
CrackerLarry Offline
Hello all. I just finished a good beach book by Jimmy Buffet called "A Salty Piece of Land", a very good adventure novel, I think his first? Anyway, a lot of the story centers around Belize, AC and southern Mexico and has a lot of history, culture and such, along with good entertainment. I thought you BZ-aholics might enjoy it, if you haven't seen it yet. This is the first book by him that I've read and he tells a pretty good tale and ties in a lot of his song lines...

#172522 - 01/18/05 11:01 PM Re: A good beach read
CHOOCHOO Offline
Agreed. MY normally insensitive children (just kidding) got it for me for Christmas along with one of those 3,000,000 candlepower flashlights that I can use to signal Havana from San Pedro should the need arise. The book is a good read.

There is another older book (20 yrs +) around that was loaned to me by a gringo local in SP three years ago. It's a fictional adventure and takes place in Belize during the 60's and involves traffic in fraudulent Mayan artifacts. Pretty interesting since it is set all over BZ (including SP) during the "colonial" days. I suspect it is out of print (the copy I had was paperback) but the author it seems was fairly well known. Maybe a good project for me to start on--finding it again, I returned the loaner.

#172523 - 01/18/05 11:52 PM Re: A good beach read
CHOOCHOO Offline
Try another one:

"Belize"
"A novel"

Carlos Miller
ISBN 0738807176 (430 pg)

Amazon.com has it in hardback and softback.

#172524 - 01/19/05 12:26 AM Re: A good beach read
klcman Offline
Chooch - ley us know thew name as soon as you can - going "Googling" right now!

Carlos' book is an intersting read, I agree.

#172525 - 01/19/05 01:26 AM Re: A good beach read
skullyboy Offline
Sounds great. I also got it for Christmas. Been saving for the hammock at Caribe Island. 2 more days. Woo Hoo!!!

#172526 - 01/19/05 02:18 AM Re: A good beach read
J DOG Offline
Thanks Cracker Larry! I liked "Tales from Margaritaville". My favorite Buffett book was "A Pirate Looks At Fifty", he wrote about touring the Carribean Islands in his sea plane, stopped in San Pedro and had lunch at Lily's.
I'm gona run down & pick up "A Salty Piece Of Land" tomorrow.
A good read for any divers out there is "The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury, it's a fascinating & mesmerizing read, hard to put down. It's a true story about ordinary people placed in extraordinary situations.
I will bring it down with me, I will be at BCs the 30th of this month, the first diver to ask me for it can have it as a gift, just pass it on when you are done with it.

#172527 - 01/19/05 09:56 AM Re: A good beach read
seashell Offline
Geez, J Dog. I thought "The Last Dive" was one of the mostly poorly written books I've ever read.

Sure, the story itself was interesting but it could have been told ever so much better. Those guys were courting Darwin from day one.

#172528 - 01/19/05 03:54 PM Re: A good beach read
mobunny Offline
A couple of weeks ago I finished "Shadow Divers" about the guys who discovered (and after six years) identified Hitler's lost sub 65 miles off the coast of New Jersey (in 230 feet of water). A really amazing read. Highly recommended. mobunny cool

#172529 - 01/19/05 04:05 PM Re: A good beach read
GAY AND DAVID Offline
I also received a copy of "a salty piece of land" for christmas, now i can't wait to start it.

#172530 - 01/19/05 04:07 PM Re: A good beach read
Denny Shane Offline
Well, it could be a good beach read one day... but right now over on my Blog http://djshane.blogspot.com/ there is a new book, entitled The Memoirs of Gasper deMornay.

If you have ever wanted to write a book or be part of a book here is your opportunity. Anyone can add to the book... a short paragraph or a few pages, whatever. The story line is just now getting underway and you can be a great part of it!

The only real rule kinda is keep it within the right frame set. Meaning if the last paragraph was about walking down a flight of stairs, don't add on in the next line that you are taking off in a rocket ship.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,045 Topics
462,253 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.