Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Well, things like the most recent Sunday New York Times or a rare bottle of single-malt Scotch or a McDonald's cheeseburger or a dozen bagels from Queens are the kinds of things expats (mostly) miss, but the typical snorkel tour guide would want cash.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
White castle cheeseburgers! (anyone know TV Tom??!!)

K
K
Barbara, how are you? Last I saw TV Tom he was doing OK, I guess you know he had a healthproblem.As far as money goes, all Belize Bank locations and I think most others as well now have ATMs that will except foreign credit cards AND money master cards. By far the cheapest and safest way to go. Look up Belize Bank on-line and see if they have a MAC machine in Placencia. I don't know when you are going, but BIG Punta Rock festival in Placencia May 1!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Lan,
Those of us who "crave" McDonalds now just need to catch a quick flight and taxi ride to Chetumal. They have a HUGE McDonalds! Also a beautiful brand new 10 movie theatre, and YEAH---a Wal-Mart on the way!!!!!!!!! Now, if they could just get an Arby's, Olive Garden, Home Depot, and a Dillards..... oh, and a Piggly Wiggly would be nice too!
I don't mind having to go that far, as I don't want to spoil Belize, but I sure so love having it close by.
(Note: I don't have the McDonalds cravings, but I did miss a Subway.... now, there is one in Belize City.)
Cheerz,
Vicki

C
C
I like the fact that Belize is still unchained in regard to Mickey D and the Starbucks goddess, among others. However, when traveling in the States, I will stop and get two $1 double cheeseburgers and a glass of water, because I can't imagine that they don't lose money off of me if I do that.

I don't think that anyone directly mentioned that there will usually be a 5% charge on the use of a credit card for merchandise or services and you can get a marginally better rate of exchange at any bank. The locals know that and that is why you are most likely to get change in Belizean currency.

B
B
Ok....I am bringing an 8 pack of White's(w/cheese of course)......those who know the smell will come from miles away like sleepwalkers in the night.......hahahahahahah wink

M
M
We have no ATMs in Placencia that will accept international credit cards. (At least not yet, although two are promised, 1 by Scotia Bank, 1 by Atlantic Bank - not Belize Bank here.)

If you plan to use credit cards, bring a Visa. About 3 months ago, MasterCard imposed a $0 floor limit on ALL Belize businesses. Therefore, smaller businesses that don't have electronic credit card machines will NOT accept MasterCards after business hours (they can't call and get an authorization code).

Traveler's checks are fine, but PLEASE, don't fill in the name of the merchant or the date! If you do, the merchant will have to deposit the traveler's check in the bank, and the banks hold them for 40 days before actually depositing the money in the merchant's account. If you leave the date and payee blank, the traveler's checks can be used as cash.

You might want to check out our Dis 'N Dat page for more info about Placencia, its banks, tours, food, customs, etc. http://www.destinationsbelize.com/dis_n_da.htm

Have fun!

Mary Destinations Belize

Destinations Belize
General Delivery, Placencia, Belize
Email: [email protected]
Mary - your Dis N Dat page for Placencia is wonderful! Tons of great information - can't wait to get there! We'll be in Placencia around the middle of June for a week or so, and we'll probably get a chance to try most of the restaurants you suggested, as well as the vendors. Loved the food sections, as well as the "where to get it" info. Also really appreciated the warnings about illegal lobsters and the issues with shrimp farming - Will avoid lobsters other than from co-op, and I can certainly get shrimp a lot of other places! Thanks again - Sharon

I brought 20 $2 bills u.s. to give out or trade for belikins. I wrote on them " keep this and you will never be broke" and signed them "Danny". They seemed to go over good with the locals.

G'morning Mary,

Just wanted to tell you that you have one of the nicest web sites! We're actually going to San Pedro in two days and I've done lots of surfing checking things out. I can honestly say that of all the "places" I've visited on-line, yours is the most personal. Just like sitting down in your best friends kitchen and sharing stories over a cup of coffee.

laugh

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.