Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#18053 - 04/11/04 12:19 PM Gales Point-anyone been?
sarahsmile Offline
OK...Hi again one and all!

Now, I did my lil search for info on Gales Point but I want to know if anyone (reading this) has actually been there and what is the atmosphere like? I can imagine living conditions...I just wanna know some personal opinions or experiences!

The other day I checked on here and read about the "woman" who was found there... YIKES! Later that evening my bestfriend/boyfriend/whatever we are calling him...POLICEMAN...called me to tell me that he had been transfered. Lovely, I thought, considering I had just wired him money to help purchase a stove for his new house in Dangriga so that I would have a place to cook when I go there for my month vacation (and volunteer work).
So yeah I was not thrilled to also learn that the transfer was to Gales Point! All my travels to Belize and never heard of the place until a couple hours before hand...and that was not good news.
Luckily after further investigating I feel a lil better and think this might be a very good thing that happened! My friend is living at the police station and is basically on call 24/7, as is my understanding...so this place must be small!

Sounds like a great cultural experience (opportunity) with the drumming lessons and the mannatee preservation projects and farming/fishing tours too!

Now all I need is to hear from any of you who might be able to confirm any of this enthusiasm. I know they have that guy in custody now so hopefully no more problems.

Ok so any info????????????????

#18054 - 04/11/04 02:08 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
klcman Offline
Hi Sarah -

Have not been to GP in about 4 years. Was very quiet - most touristas never ventured off the path to get there, unless they were interested in the manantee project. My guess is it's still the same way. Without a critical mass of infrastructure, most gringos will not headed that way. I loved the time I spent there, though. Wonderful cultural experience. Even with all the bad PR of late, I would not hesitiate to go back again and spend some low-key, enlightening, get-to-know-your-fellow man/woman/child time!

(Yes, you have the standard living conditions figured out)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#18055 - 04/11/04 03:28 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
gogo Offline
hmmm sarah, not sure why the quote marks are around woman in your statement pasted below.

The other day I checked on here and read about the "woman" who was found there... YIKES!

you know they have the guy in custody? what does your boyfriend the policeman say about the case? if he's working in GP and wants you to come visit he must be offering some info about it.

#18056 - 04/11/04 04:54 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
sarahsmile Offline
Quotes for creepiness thats all, nothing meant by it and the bf's quote on the place was that it's boring there-he's also new to living there-and I have not had much time to talk to him yet since his move! Thats why I was hoping for a foreign perspective! I dont think anywhere in Belize can be boring. My other friends in Belize have told me that GP is a quite place with no crime so the recent news was a shock to all.

#18057 - 04/11/04 06:29 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
Barbara K Offline
Hi sarah

I met Teddy in Bullet Tree on this last trip!

#18058 - 04/12/04 12:05 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Gales Point has a beautiful setting on the lagoon, but there's very little to do there other than water activities. There's one hotel (Manatee Lodge) which has never had any guests any time I've been there, and a couple of homestay places. It's a Creole and Garifuna village with maybe 80 or 90 families and around 300 or 350 people.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#18059 - 04/12/04 07:06 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
Secret Garden Placencia Offline
They have a very cool drum making place where you can take drumming lessons and make your own drum as well. The wife of the drum maker also has a little gift shop and makes some lovely clothes. You can probably plan to do a lot of readng and sitting by the lagoon! It's a very nice quiet place! (Maybe Placencia used to be like that???)

#18060 - 04/12/04 10:17 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
Scooter Offline
Stop at the Shrimp Farm on your way to GP you can't miss it.

#18061 - 04/16/04 11:43 AM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
sarahsmile Offline
Thanx for the opinions and info...Wil Maheia from TIDE recommended that I ask for the snake man and the guys who do turtle nesting and mannatee projects! Sounds like fun!

Barb: Teddy, you say...yeah..how's he doing? I have not heard from him in a year! Fun, sweet guy, ehh? What'd ya think?

Water, turtles, lovely clothes, drumming, limited tourists (and people in general) and ....SHRIMP FARM! Hey yeah, sounds like my kinda place!

#18062 - 04/23/04 11:46 PM Re: Gales Point-anyone been?
JmHanna Offline
Hi Sarah,
You will love it there.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.