Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#180612 - 06/25/05 02:45 PM Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
PattiCake Offline
Hey folks. I have never dived (dove) but do know some film techniques plus watched the interviews with the director/producer/camera1 and the actors of this film. Originally I saw it about 3 months ago, but have been meaning to ask experts (youse guyz), how hard is it to drown??? In the end, the female lead just wanders off and drowns herself. This seems impossible to me. Is it my desire to live? I would think drowning oneself is a tough way to go. Please comment on the film too. I thought it was very good. I considered the budget, the medium (1/2 video, 1/2 film) and was proud of it for them.

#180613 - 06/25/05 03:08 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
Denny Shane Offline
patti... it's not hard at all...

1. Go into water

2. Go under water

3. Open mouth wide

4. Breathe in deeply

5. You pass out and then die

If you fail, repeat #4 over and over eek

#180614 - 06/25/05 03:09 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Sorry, I didn't appreciate the film. Some of my friends enjoyed it. I walked out. After 1/2 hour of two people floating in water, I had enough and changed the DVD.

Although possible, I found it hard to imagine the DM leaving two behind, especially a couple - two people, one being female.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#180615 - 06/25/05 03:21 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
Texan34 Offline
I'm with you SIN. It would be almost impossible.

#180616 - 06/25/05 03:24 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
PattiCake Offline
Gawd Denny! I'll try tonight (another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody)!

SIN - not the possibilities - ...AND... if you've got a chick with you they'll always remember????
I'll have to remember to take a chick with ME (Queen of chicks)

#180617 - 06/25/05 08:08 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
reaper Offline
This movie was based on what happened in Australia on the barrier reef around 1997-98. A couple snuck off to have a romantic dive by themselves and the boat left them. They both died. The dive boats are large and carry up to 45 or 50 people. Since that happened the dive masters check the manifest and take a head count 3 times before heading in. Everyone gets a numbered bracelet to match up on the manifest board also. And to answer the drowning question. Just fill your BC (vest) with some air and stick it out. cool

#180618 - 06/25/05 08:11 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
papashine Offline
Play bobbing for shark!
Reality..What a concept!

#180619 - 06/25/05 10:32 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
marge Offline
This same thing happened in Cozumel two years ago with that large cattle boat operation, I shall not name. We were there at the time. Quite sad. We dove and always dive with a operator who max's the boat parties with 8 divers with the DM and a captain and look-out above water. Once they decide to put 40 divers on a boat and think by splitting them into goups of 15 or 20, alls well. Not a safe way to go. Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

#180620 - 06/25/05 10:59 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
reaper Offline
marge, I agree with you on the cattle boats. However down under most of the cattle boats have 1 divemaster to each 5 snorkelers/divers. And I can only add that when tourists go on action/adventure trips they need to follow the rules. people are so used to wandering around in a safe environment they develop a serious lack of respect for the task at hand. And as someone who organizes adventure trips I can tell you first hand...people that don't follow the rules endanger and are a pain in the butt to everyone else! I'm sure the dive operators in SP can tell some pretty good stories about some of their customers! cool

#180621 - 06/25/05 11:45 PM Re: Divers, ahoy! "Open Water" movie
PattiCake Offline
Marge. thanx. All this sounds too scary to even start.

Reaper. Please explain cattle boats. Is this like deep sea fishing from an old ferry, as I once did at the Cape?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 50 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.