Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
AHHHHHHH but thats where you are incorrect

You have the deepwater 6 gill shark a very large shark that can grow to 16ft also the following might be interesting to you

PUGET SOUND - Lots of big sharp teeth and as wide as his boat.

That's how a Tacoma fisherman describes a close encounter in Puget Sound.

It was just over a week ago when Bob Salatino almost caught the biggest fish of his life. He was angling for salmon when something much bigger grabbed his attention.

"When I grabbed it, he came charging straight up out of the water," Salatino said. "He was solid teeth."

That's when Salatino says he knew he had a 20-foot great white shark on the end of his line in his 16-foot boat.

"The shark was definitely watching me, his eyeball was right on me," he said. "He just come out of the water he had my flasher in his mouth and he started throwing his head back and forth."

The shark spit the flasher back out, surfaced a couple of times, and swam away.

For reference, the largest fish in the Point Defiance Zoo's shark tank isn't even half the size of the one Salatino spotted.

Great whites have never been officially recorded in Puget Sound.

We suspect, given their range and the nature of their natural history and patterns that they probably do make occasional sorties, little investigative runs into Puget Sound," said John Rupp, Pt. Defiance Zoo's Aquatic Animal Curator.

Salatino's encounter won't count as the first official sighting -- the record keepers need more conclusive evidence like a photograph.

But Salatino, with the tooth-marked flasher in hand, is positive.

"Soon as I seen his teeth come out of his mouth I knew it was a white shark," he said.

Was he scared?

"I've fished all my life and I really don't get that excited," he said. But is looking forward to another encounter?

"The shark business is over for me as far as I'm concerned," he said.

There are other sharks this big in Puget Sound, and other sharks that exhibit this kind of behavior. But the Point Defiance aquatic curator says that a great white is the only shark that fits all of Salatino's description.

By the way, Salatino is retired after working nearly 40 years for the aquarium at Point Defiance, and he's described as someone who really knows his fish.

Great Whites inhabit all the oceans of the world hell we even had one caught in Belize City a few years back (was a juvenile though)

regards

Gaz

Goodlord BelDis, GAZ!!! I was in Lake Huron three times this week, never saw anything larger than a 2" minnow, but you certainly have the ability to make me NERVOUS!

Dolphin, I'm getting in the bath RIGHT NOW to practise my snout, head and eyes-WHACKING!

Reaper darling, the blue hole jump is a DATE! Tell me when!

S
S
If you read the Intl Shark Attack File, the diving stat is interesting. Divers are on the lowest rung of attack victims. Surfers were the highest (try not to look so much like a seal), followed by swimmers/snorkelers, then waders, then fishermen, and finally, divers.

I found the discussion of provoked and un-provoked attacks quite interesting also. If someone grabbed my tail, I'd bite them too (unless she was cute!)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.