Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181768 08/10/05 07:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
ok, another of my many upcoming questions (i appreciate all help you guys and ladies have given me).

my mother in law will go nuts if i can not give good answers on medical services on AC before i bring my wife down there. I have read posts about a "doc" downthere, but can anyone give me details?

Thanks much again

#181769 08/10/05 08:17 PM
L
L
Not sure what you are asking about a "doc" down there. Do you have any pre existing medical conditions that you have concerns about? Medical care has come a long way over the years. Several very competent physicians on the island and mainland. Some choose to go to Merida for medical care as well. Do you have U.S. insurance coverage?

R.B. Mernitz
#181770 08/10/05 08:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
we will have insurance but my wife is a diabetic

#181771 08/10/05 08:30 PM
There are many diabetics living in Belize.

What is the major concern?

Is she that brittle that she will need lots of emergency care? I only ask so you will get the whole need out there and it can be answered for you smile
Come to Belize, enjoy your time and hopefully she is not so brittle a diabetic that she can't enjoy too.

#181772 08/10/05 08:42 PM
L
L
If you wife's diabetic condition is controlled it probably would not be a problem. When you are down checking things out for your move, would suggest you talk to physicians on the island or go to Belize City. Universal Health is quite good. My husband and I are over 65 and do make appts. for check ups when we are back in the States ( we have U.S. insurance). On occasion we have had to have medical treatment in Belize and have been quite satisfied with the care we have recieved. It would certainly not be a deterrant for moving there.

R.B. Mernitz
#181773 08/11/05 06:57 AM
Which form of diabetes? Type I or II? I have Type II and have never had any problems while down there. However, if I did, I would feel comfortable with the doctors that are there.

#181774 08/11/05 07:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
she has type 1, well controled but understandably a concerned mother (who is a nurse). the closest hospital is belize city?

#181775 08/11/05 08:09 AM
You will find yourself wanting to make regular visits to your 'now' home for family visits.
You can pick up her insulin while there. Your mother-in-law can bring her medical supplies to her if she is willing. Bring her glucometer and strips (or whatever she uses) along and bring a few months supply.

Hospital, yes...mainland. She can get there by plane in daylight hours, if needed.

Nurses tend to be extremely careful.
Diabetics generally know their own limits.

You as a husband should know her needs in case of insulin reaction. If you both know it, she will be fine. Do you have trouble in her daily life now? Diabetes is so common. My mother has had it, insulin dependent, almost all of her life.
Be watchful. If she is old enough to be out of the nest, she is old enough to take care as a diabetic smile
Again, go and enjoy smile

Have you been to Belize at all? How long are you staying?

#181776 08/11/05 10:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
She takes very good care of herself. I presume supplies can be mailed down. We have been down twice and are considering making the big move there permanently. Looking at business to buy.

#181777 08/11/05 10:37 AM
Hey Dave

The "Doc" you see mentioned on the board is a vet!

But seriously, there are many diabetics living here. I have seen times when there is no insulin to be found in the whole country, so always have at least a months supply if possible. Also the test kits, strips are in short supply here and very costly.

I agree with Lovey, Universal Health services are great if you need check ups or treatment.

You might want to consider buying medical insurance. I use Amedex. It is affordable. It is catastrophic health insurance. It doesn't pay for normal check-ups but if you need to be medivaced (sp?) overseas it is a lifesaver.

Amedex.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 245 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.