Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#182815 - 09/29/05 07:58 PM applying for a US VISA
spl Offline
In reviewing how one applies for a US Visa I see there is lots of requirements/documentation needed and it can be quite a process.

I also see that one can have someone from the US sponsor them (which is quite a lot of paperwork/info needed).

Has anyone ever sponsored someone for their US VISA? Does anyone know anyone from Belize who gotten a US Visa and how the process went? Does one have a greater chance of getting approved if they have a sponsor or does it not matter?

Anyone who can assist I greatly appreciate it.

#182816 - 09/29/05 09:21 PM Re: applying for a US VISA
BelTex Offline
If you don't mind my asking...What is your purpose or interest in relocating?

#182817 - 09/29/05 09:27 PM Re: applying for a US VISA
spl Offline
relocating, no interest. I am interested information on a non-immigration visitors Visa.

A trip for pleasure for 7-9 days. I am American and interested in having a friend visit the states for a week.

#182818 - 09/29/05 09:48 PM Re: applying for a US VISA
klcman Offline
Thats a straight tourist visa and requires no sponsor. Sponsors generally are associated with some of the other types of Vuisa, like H1,H1B,H2, H2B

Here's a governmental link on how to obtain a tourist visa:
http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/visiting2.html

#182819 - 09/29/05 09:59 PM Re: applying for a US VISA
spl Offline
thank you, I reviewed that website last night. However have also read a lot of info which contradicts as well as heard from several Belizeans that many get denied.

I hope someone has some advice and further info as to how to ensure/better the chances of getting it.

#182820 - 09/29/05 10:10 PM Re: applying for a US VISA
klcman Offline
The whole problem with the bureaucracy, and I deal with it extensivley in terms of student visas, is that too much discretion is permitted to the "interviewers" who all too frequently are on power trips.

People are turned down daily for reasons such as " I don't think you can afford this"...that one really P***** me off. If the applicant can provide documented evidence he/she has the funds avaialable, and documented by his/her bank, what the h*** does it matter to the interviewer how the applicants spends his/her hard earned cash?

That is the mind set you are dealing with...broad rules which allow for even broader interpretation.

Oh, and heaven forbid, if you happen to be a young single male - no matter ewhat kind of visa you apply for!

#182821 - 09/29/05 11:06 PM Re: applying for a US VISA
SimonB Offline
If they have nothing tying them to Belize (land, business, children, etc.) they will have a difficult time. Best to provide a letter with specifics on when they are going, who they will be with... I just went through this process with a close friend and she was able to get one but only for 30 days.

Denials are not uncommon and both of my friends were denied Canadian visas even though we were to stay with my family.

#182822 - 09/30/05 01:03 AM Re: applying for a US VISA
SimonB Offline
Bring a reference letter from work and originals of all their pay stubs, that should help. A reference from a US warden goes a long way as well.

#182823 - 09/30/05 01:06 AM Re: applying for a US VISA
spl Offline
this is a shame. So what if I personally invite them, write a letter, and show the funds that I have, write that I am fully responsible for all expenses on the trip.

So if my friend does not have anything tying them to Belize as mentioned above and happens to also be a young, single male I hope it is still possible.

#182824 - 09/30/05 02:16 AM Re: applying for a US VISA
seashell Offline
Best of luck, spl. My friend had many ties including property ownership, the required cash+, longterm employment history and a written offer of invitation. He was still refused a visa for a two week vacation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.