Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
karena Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Bringing my girls to island for xmas, staying at capn ron's condos. Whats it like at xmas time, everything shut down on xmas day?? Any thing I should know about safety for girls? I think they will want to "hang" without Mom and Dad, but I am concerned about safety issues. What is the best jungle/ruin tour?? Any special festivities going on for xmas? Best dive sites??

Hi there,

I haven't been at Christmas, but I can address your safety concerns. That was one of the things I LOVED about Ambergris Caye - it is safe. San Pedro is a very laid back and safe community. The people are friendly, and the vendors are not aggressive.

My husband went to the ruins at Lamanai (I was a bit ill that day), and LOVED it. I plan to go this year.

Last year, one of our favorite dives was an all day trip to Blue Hole/Half Moon Caye/Aquarium dive. Since I had just been certified, I snorkeled the Blue Hole - still SO much to see. The wall is full of life - saw a gorgeous green moray swimming along side it, and a turtle kept us company during our safety stop. Lunch on Half Moon Caye is amazing as well. Take your camera!!!!

I HIGHLY recommend booking dives through Amigos Del Mar http://amigosdive.com . The crew is wonderful!!! All of our dives were booked through them and I have nothing but fantastic things to say about them. We plan to do the Turneffe dive (among all others) with them this year (11/5 - 11/15).

I'll post when return and let you know how it went.

noooooo things are not shut down on christmas and is it a wonderful, fun time in AC. Only day of year things close is New Yrs day. I have been there the past 2 yrs for Christmas and even went on the Blue Hole Dive trip one year. SUPER safe, you are going during a very festive time! Amigos Del Mar has an awesome day trip dive boat and serves you breakfast,lunch and snacks all day long.

Best mainland tour-ATM CAVES. (lots of hiking though. I saw someonen offer it awhile ago from the islandn but it is much easier to arrange and get to if you are staying in san ignacio(which if you have 2 days you should consider.)

http://www.belizex.com/tunichil_muknal.htm

oh, and I started traveling there alone at age 23, female, and hadn no problems with
safety trips all 7 times.

N
N
I agree that Lamanai is a GREAT day long 'ruin' trip - Lamanai itself is in a beautiful setting on a large lake and the boat trips (2 of them)from the island to the mainland and then the second up the river is super fun!

Even the bus ride in between the boat rides is OK (about 45 minutes), particularly if you take advantage of the rum punch that comes along too. We have been twice with the Searious operator and they do a good job.

I agree...aquarium dive ROCKS...did the overnights on the Offshore Express with Clive Forman...Great DM...super human...Safety is only an issue if you look for trouble...States are more dangerous by far! (imho)

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
L
L
You will love your holiday, but let me add one word of caution for your girls. While it is illegal, they might be approached to buy drugs. Just make them a little heads up. People are wonderful and friendly, but two cute girls can attract a few suitors at the bar. If they are coming home late use a taxi service and don't walk alone late at night. All things you do in the States, don't spoil your holiday by lack common sense.

R.B. Mernitz
I brought my 16 and 18 yr old daughters to Belize back in June. Like typical teenagers, once they got their bearings, they didn't want to hang with Mom and Dad too much...and no wonder, they had an entourage of land sharks that followed them EVERYWHERE! We let our daughters go wherever they wanted during the day, but they had to stick close at night...not that I felt they were in danger, but the local boys will tell them ANYTHING if they think it will get them somewhere. My daughters quickly tired of it...but I've seen many swallow it hook, line, and sinker. Just remember that the island receives a fresh shipment of tourists weekly...the land sharks feed regularly!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.