Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#185274 12/12/05 01:06 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Can anyone clarify if another tax will be levied on property sales?

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
#185275 12/12/05 05:22 PM
From what I have been told that would be the case for "non-Belizeans" or for official non-residents buying property. It's a pretty ugly amount when you start to do the math.

#185276 12/12/05 07:01 PM
SIN / I am going to be talking about that very subject next week with Herm Penland at Southwind. I'll let you know what's up. Man, it could mean lots more money for the stamp duty at closing time. Rules might be different if you are receiving shares in a corporation instead of clear title. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
#185277 12/12/05 09:55 PM
I've asked this on a different thred but received no answer..........what is the difference between "receiving shares in a corp.. instead of clear title" in reference to the transfer tax?!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
#185278 12/12/05 11:48 PM
Regarding GST, yes, under the present version of the Bill (which hopefully can and will be changed) GST will apply to the buyer of the following types of property sale:

Any newly built condo, house, villa, ie. you're a developer, buy a piece of land, build homes on it, sell them. Your buyers will pay the 15% Transfer Tax AND 10% GST. Except they won't want to pay 25% tax which means they'll buy in Panama or Costa Rica instead.
Any newly remodelled house that was purchased for the purpose of remodel followed by immediate resale.
Any commercial property such as a hotel.

It's a very alarming tax which will make it almost impossible for those wanting to own their own home in Belize to justify buying a newly built home. They would be better off buying an already-lived-in home which is not taxed under this new system.

Theoretically even homes newly built by DFC will "attract" this most heinous new tax.

#185279 12/12/05 11:52 PM
Pam&Dave, if you make a real estate purchase and it falls under a GST-taxable category you pay 10%. It has nothing to do with the Stamp Transfer Tax. The GST won't disinguish between corporations, individuals, Belizeans or Aliens.

#185280 12/13/05 05:43 AM
This is not good news. The frustrating thing about working on a long term plan for living in Belize is that the "rules" are constantly changing. At some point it becomes too risky and uncertain to put hard earned investment dollars into a system that is in constant flux. If they impose this tax on new construction and on all commercial sales I think you will see a dramatic drop in transactions, or more elaborate schemes by individuals to circumvent the taxes and duties. Neither of these will accomplish the GOB objective of more revenue.
Most of us still prefer to play by the rules, but if you make the rules too difficult we will play somewhere else.

#185281 12/13/05 09:15 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Getting worried now.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
#185282 12/13/05 10:39 AM
The real estate people I've talked with in Belize all seem concerned -- from somewhat to very -- about the new GST. Those who have studied it seem the most concerned.

In theory, on applicable properties, the 10% tax will be paid by the SELLER, not the buyer as with the stamp duty.

But of course in the end all fees and taxes are in effect paid by the buyer, as the costs tend to get built in to the selling price.

The GST bill as currently written is long (almost 70 pages) and complex. I've not studied it carefully, but it looks to me as if one possible issue is to exactly what real property it applies. It seems to me the definitions of applicable property are a little fuzzy.

The GST doesn't go into effect until April, and the bill may undergo some changes.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#185283 12/13/05 11:14 AM
Real estate people and developers trying to market and sell new homes and projects are going to have a hard time explaining the latest added tax. There are lots of people with the funds to invest in Belize and boost it's economy, however, as tincup stated,"the "rules" are constantly changing". Foreign investors must have faith in the government and a certain "comfort level" before they will part with their money. The Belize government is testing that faith and pressing the "comfort level" to an uncomfortable position. I certainly hope the reality becomes clear that imposing frequent and dramatic tax increases such as this one will have a very damaging long term effect. Only time will tell.

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.