Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#186017 - 12/28/05 04:18 PM Whale sharks and Placencia
deb1022 Offline
Been some time since I have posted anything here, but check in more than regularly. Coming down in March our third time. Have been curious about seeing whale sharks. We are snorklers and have read some articles about Placencia. Has anyone done this or seen them in Placencia? I have heard you have to be careful when they inhale!!!! Also, is it worth taking a flight over to Placencia while staying in AC even if we don't see the whale sharks? Thanks, Deb

#186018 - 12/28/05 05:28 PM Re: Whale sharks and Placencia
Kra-Z-K Offline
thre is some info, put those words into the search and you'll find some threads.

#186019 - 01/07/06 12:43 AM Re: Whale sharks and Placencia
NewOrleansGial Offline
Hey Deb,

The whalesharks migrate to Gladden Spit (or 'Split' depending on who you talk to!) between March and July or August. And are seen during the full moon when the snapper are spawning!! As snorkelers you will have a very good chance to see them. Whalesharks are very docile and shy. They typically hang out very deep and then swim upward toward the surface feeding on the snapper spawn. Their only interest is in the spawn and very much ignore the human spectators! (unless the humans make that impossible) Their swim is very slow, quiet and methodical. As a diver, you can be deeper than a snorkeler and look one way and maybe miss them. I can say from experience, though, it is an awesome vision!! I will say it is worth the trip to Placencia!!

Hope you have a great time!!

#186020 - 01/07/06 07:14 PM Re: Whale sharks and Placencia
deb1022 Offline
Thanks for the reply, we will be down March 8-15. Just looked at the calender and on March 14 IS a full moon. I have read a few articles about the appearance of the whale sharks at the full moon. I know you never get a guarantee, but interesting enough. I think I read they appear more in April than in March. I'm going to do alittle more investigating. Thanks again. When you went what company did you use while in Placencia?

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 64 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,689 Topics
461,191 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.