Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18813 12/30/04 09:50 PM
S
specv Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Last visit my kids and I used the bus btwn Belize City and the Zoo, Belmopan/Caves Branch, and SanIggy. Are the routes, times the same? Like the BC/S.Iggy express?

Jeff
Can't pass up the cheap airfairs

#18814 12/31/04 01:44 PM
basically the same schedule & routing.

#18815 12/31/04 06:57 PM
S
S
the idea of using the bus to get to San Ignacio is appealing to save a lot of dough (there are 5 of us - 3kids) but how easy and practical is it? does it take alot longer?

#18816 12/31/04 08:37 PM
S
specv Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Slomom, Easy is relative wink

Christmas '03 my two kids (12,9)and I used the bus several times. What memories laugh You need to be patient, wise and tolerant. I'd do it again.

There is an Express btwn Belize City and SanIggy that leaves BC about 11:00. You have A/C and assigned seating. It makes no stops and that's my plan each way. The express takes a lot of the chance out of the picture. You just need to get to the bus station early to secure your seat.

Last visit, from AC we rode the 7am boat to BC then a $6bz taxi to the bus station. We hopped the milk run to the zoo. After our 2hr zoo visit we hopped onto the next one to Belmopan and transfered to the southern bus the nine miles to Ian's Cave Branch jungle lodge for several days. Then took a northern bus back to Belmopan and transfered to a western bus to SanIggy and Marthas for a night prior to our three days at Tikal. Coming back from the border we rode the bus back to BC and the Thunderbolt back to AC. Several times the bus broke down, everybody waited for the next bus (30 min) and boarded it. Remember the busses we rode to school twenty years ago? Well there all in Belize and they can get eighty people on one bus for a sweaty four hour ride from boarder to coast. I think it was like $5bz per person.

When I researched our trip the resorts charged big money to drive you in, and if I had big money, I'd take them up on there offer.

Travel early in the day, have flexable plans, and be tolerant. Enjoy, Jeff

#18817 12/31/04 10:07 PM
S
S
thanks specv,

I'd love my kids to really see how life is lived in Belize, I can't think of a better way to learn appreciation for what they have than the sights they'll see on a long ride on a bus in Belize.
thanks for the info.

#18818 01/01/05 12:20 AM
As a single Mum with 2 kids we made our first trip to Belize in 1992. Took the taxi from the International airport to the bus depot in Belize City ~ unlike any bus depot I had ever seen!!
We took the same yellow bus that Jeff talks about and were the only white faces on it! At that time the bus stopped for anyone standing on the road so it was a long trip but a wonderful adventure! 26 trips later I have fond memories of the first one....
Take the bus.

#18819 01/14/05 03:02 PM
Two years ago, I took the Bus from Belize City to San Ignacio. It was great. I did take the express and it was very comfortable. I believe we made a stop in Belmopan and that was it. I sat next to a 94 year old woman who lived in Santa Elena. Just before arriving in San Ignacio, the bus driver takes a bit of a detour on a residential street and drops her off next to her house. The drive also let me off just before the stop because he saw a Taxi cab and flagged it down for me so that I could get to my hotel. It was an excellent experience and one I would do again in a heart beat laugh

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.