Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
OP Offline
L
Since so many people on this board have traveled many places that require shots ect. I would like to hear from those who have taken the Malaria medication.

What I am interested in is:

What type of medication did you take?

Did you have any side effects?

Thanks

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
chloroquine: per CDC website
covered by insurance
no side effects

Chloroquine was givin to me when i went to Iraq in 04 and i didnt seem to have any side effectsssssssssssss

J D Tremblay
Southern Illinois University Press
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I've taken quite a few over the years, as medications cease to be effective they're replaced with others. I've certainly taken chloroquine. None of the medications had any undesired effects on me, though it's worth remembering that they only give partial protection and you still need to make sure you're not bitten. I contracted tertiary cerebral malaria on a trip to Zaire once, despite all the normal precautions.

is it a problem on AC in May

J D Tremblay
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
K
K
Not sure what it was, a small pink tablet the Army gave me once a week while I was vacationing in Honduras for a few months. No side effects.

L
OP Offline
L
I am going to Brazil and fishing the Amazon in November.

I have never taken the Malaria medication the three times I have traveled to AC.

Even though there are not "that" many bugs on the Amazon because of the high concentration of Tannnin, I am thinking about talking the medication. From what I have seen on the CDC sight, they don't use Cloroquine for Brazil.

I appreciate the info. My main concern is side effects. I don't want to be sick while I am there.

You gotta love them Army Vacations
smile

J D Tremblay
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
S
spl Offline
S
oh boy, if going to SP skip it. If going on the mainland staying in the jungle in a tent take it. lol.

I took Mefloquine in 1994 while visiting Kenya Tanzania. I understand that it depends where you visit which medication will be affective (at least that was the case way back then).

In my 7 trips to AC, 2 trips to Costa Rica and 1 trip to Panama, I have not taken any medications for malaria or any other precautions.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.