Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19089 04/03/05 01:28 PM
OP Offline
We are renting a car and staying in San Ignacio in September and I was wondering if we will have any border problems with our own vehicle traveling to Tikal? I found that I can hire a personal guide at Tikal for $40, but I now wonder if it is not better to hire a full day guide in San Ignacio and have a full day guide? Thanks Theresa

Most rental agencies will not permit you to take the car across the border...better check that out first.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Contact Yute Expeditions, absolutly the best guide i've ever used.

OP Offline
Yute...are they out of San Ignacio?

D
D
Crystal Auto will let you take a rental into Guatamala. Talk to Jay the owner. We did it with no problems. Be cautious. The Westin Camino Real in El Remate is awesome. Tikal is best at the crack of dawn. Lots of animals

supposedly, you need to hire a Guatemalan guide in Tikal. You can't bring a guide from Belize. At least that's what they told us last week. Perhaps its an informal arrangement with the hotels and the Tikal park?

There were some border problems 2 wks ago due to Belize hotel vans bringing tourists into Guatemala. We got through OK, but 2 days later the border was closed for 2 days because the Guatemalan gov't apparently wants free trade; for Belizean hotel vans to stop at Melchor and for you to have to take a Guatemalan transfer to Tikal from there, similar to the way the buses run.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 230 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.