Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19183 - 04/26/05 01:44 AM cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
Marty Online   happy

#19184 - 04/26/05 01:57 AM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
Moon Offline
Is this real????!! The monkey almost looked like one of those illusion pictures made out of the pup's fur! Cool~

#19185 - 04/26/05 07:57 AM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
collyk Offline
Just prodding you for a credit there Marty. I took the picture and yes it is real. The monkey and the dog had an incredible bond. She is not really that much of a baby monkey. She was about three years old and came into heat just after we left.

#19186 - 04/26/05 07:30 PM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
Nolita Offline
Poor dog ... looks like he/she is "silently tolerating"

#19187 - 04/26/05 07:56 PM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
MikeCaroleinKC Offline
It's real, we were in Ek Tun in March and had a great time and saw Monkey riding "Killer" like a jockey.

#19188 - 04/27/05 04:35 AM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
gogo Offline
i read collyk's travelblog & really enjoyed all the photos and text~~~eeew, except for the creepy monkey parts!

monkeys are just fine, spotted from a distance in their own habitat and happy to stay there.

pet monkeys just come to no good. everyone who has ever met a monkey has a horrid story to tell, in my experience. monkeys have a bad attitude toward humans, and probably for good reason. i just don't want to be around when they exact their revenge.

i would rate a monkey scampering and climbing on me, nippin, poopin & havin his butt and/or tail anywhere near my face, neck or shoulders as the number one encounter with nature that gives me gagging heaves of revulsion to contemplate.

after that, number two in the top three creepy phobias was also mentioned by colly: the dreaded botfly ::shudder::

why do people want to have a monkey for a pet, anyway? i kind of wanted to check out ek tun sometime, but honestly, i wouldn't stay any place where there is a captive monkey. yuk.

what words did collyk use to get the critter to back off, i am curious to know.

do tell, colly!

cheers
~~~gogo

#19189 - 04/27/05 05:45 AM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
Kra-Z-K Offline
I DONT GET IT, IT LOOKS ATTATCHED TO THE DOG

#19190 - 04/27/05 08:07 AM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
collyk Offline
gogo, you should try having monkey genitalia in your face as the monkey tries to hang on to your head. What words did I use - well I work in animal behaviour so I did what I normally do with animals I want/need some respect from. Assessed my risk: ie. is it safe to attempt to asert myself with the animal, once that is established then I use strong direct eye contact puntuated with sharp vocal sounds as a consequence to any inappropriate approach. Then I do not touch, talk to or look at the animal until it begins to offer appeasing gestures. I would not recommend trying this unless you know what you are doing as any body language that indicates that you might not be 100% confidence will be seen as a crack in your armour and you could make the problem worse. So the best thing to do with animals you feel uncomfortable around is to not touch them, talk to them or look at them.

#19191 - 04/27/05 03:35 PM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
gogo Offline
good gawd colly, i hadn't even considered the monkeybawls! how disgusting! i would absolutely take your advice about not trying to discipline a monkey. dogs i understand and can handle but the techniques don't necessarily crossover.

i would take your advice not to touch, look at, or talk to monkeys so seriously that i'd cross the street to avoid walking past one sitting by a shop door. (i did this in orange walk...ick.) monkeys are just too fast and too mean. i'd freak out so badly if one climbed me, i'm sure a fight would ensue, with monkey as victor, after clawing and biting my face to bits. i know, i see it all too clearly!

thanks for the info
~~~gogo

#19192 - 04/27/05 09:43 PM Re: cool picture of Killer, a german shepard from Ek Tun, with a baby monkey
collyk Offline
I hate to gross you out but when I spoke of genitalia, it wasn't balls I was talking about! I must say that your phobia is somewhat extreme. Monkeys are not mean. Meaness is a human trait. Monkeys are wild animals and they just do what wild animals do. Actually techniques for giving alpha status works on any social species!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Marty, Ricklap, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,068 Topics
462,330 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.