Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
BELIZE DISTRICT FESTIVAL OF ARTS OPENS TOMORROW:

The Belize District Festival of Arts opens tomorrow morning at the Bliss Center for the Performing Arts in Belize City. Leroy Green from the Institute of Creative Arts feels this year s event will be grander than previous years with much more inclusion and participation:

Green:

So far we have 365 entries from 48 institutions and why I say institution is because its not only school that will enter this year, we have some private organizations like the Mahogany Masqueraders Carnival Band, Express Designs and quite a few others along with private music schools and private dance schools. There are entries involved with different aspects of the festival so it s going to be a lot of fun, a lot of creativity a lot of originality on stage. We are also starting it at 6:30 every evening to mitigate our children being on the streets late at night.

Marion:

Has art advance in Belize as far as our children are concern?

Green:

I believe so. If you come to the opening ceremonies you ll definitely see something new in sense that the opening prayer will not just be just a stand up prayer, it will be done by Ebenezer School and it will be a prayer done by song, dance and something like a rap. Apart from that we have a group here at the Bliss The Feenis Performing Company who has just been in existence for a month and a half. They ll be doing a special item dedicated to mothers at the opening of the Festival and apart from that I know quite a few schools who came up with some really innovative ideas this year for the festival so there will be quite a lot of new things to see part from just the ordinary poetry and so on.

Green tells us what the prizes are:

Green:

We ll be giving away 21 special prizes of $150 worth of book supplies each. Apart from that we also have 2 tickets to give away the special teacher who participated in the festival, one from Continental Airlines one from American Airlines. This year Bowen and Bowen have also paid for the billboard and they are giving some of the special prizes. This year we have a new company Mona Lisa who has come as one of our sponsors and I must say that the business people are showing a lot of interest in the festival this year.

The Performing Arts segment of the festival will continue every evening, except on May 13th, 16th, 23rd. The last night will be June 2nd. The golden showcase, featuring all the districts, will take place at 9:30 on the morning of June 5th. The Arts and Craft display also opens tomorrow morning and closes this coming Friday at the Bliss. The theme for this year s festival is Our Youth Feelings of Belizean Art, Belizean Culture, Belizean Identity .

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
THE BELIZE DISTRICT FESTIVAL OF ARTS OFFICIALLY OPENED THIS MORNING:

The Belize District Festival of Arts was officially opened this morning. It involved primary school children from various schools and featured a number of inspiring and innovative presentations in the expressive arts, from the singing of the National Anthem to the Opening Prayer and other entertaining pieces. This is exactly the pace at which Belize wants to strive in order to become the best not only at home, but internationally , says President of the National Institute of Culture and History, Yasser Musa. To reach that goal, Musa explains what NICH is doing.

Yasser:

The Institute of Creative arts is undertaking a very ambitious program which has started already but will kick in even more dramatically in the new coming school year where 12 teachers will be hired specifically to be itinerant teachers to go into the school starting in the Belize District, the City and Rural Areas and those teacher will be skilled in the areas of the expressive arts and the visual arts meaning drama, music, dance and art painting and thing like those craft and they will then go in to the school and train point teachers so that those teacher will have better resources better ways of improving their performances at the festival and even beyond the festival as school activities. I think it s an important thing for teachers in the schools to take on this role however it will be much better to have additional support.

Marion:

Taking this into consideration, how do you see Belize 5 years from now?

Yasser:

Well I think if our plan works out and I have no doubt that It will once we go beyond the Belize district and go into the other districts I think that the more people that are trained the more people that are brought into the expressive domain then we have great talent. Its now how to challenge that talent and bring it forward I think then we will be having a stronger export product so to speak sending our dancers into bigger festivals in the region the Caribbean and central America sending our artists sending our dramatist sending our musicians so that is the objective to harvest what we have here in our country, prepare them not just to perform in belie but also to perform elsewhere.

The children will engage in nightly performances as of tonight at the Bliss Institute of Performing Arts in Belize City, except on May 13th, 16th, 23rd. Each show begins at 6:30 pm. The visual arts displays are open to the public thru to Friday. The theme for this year s Festival of Arts is: Our Youths Seedlings of Belizean Art, Belizean Culture, Belizean Identity.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.