Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
I know the needle is stuck again but...

You can't bring 99.99% of the varieties of beer that are available in the world to Belize. It's illegal.

You can't bring in imported mineral waters (such as Canadian Club)....it's illegal.

You can't bring in most imported soft drinks. They're illegal.

You can't bring in imported orange juice to Belize...it's illegal. (OK, on that one I can understand, we do have very good local orange juice).

We had the well-documented "cheese wars" where imported cheddar cheese was banned from Belize until someone in a high place in Government in Belize realized that the local cheese "equivalent" looked like cheddar, felt like cheddar and tasted like tofu flavoured with Japanese seaweed.

Now for the latest banned item: Imported pineapple juice such as that made by Dole or Del Monte. Yes, folks! Pineapple juice has joined the list of banned items coming into Belize. This is because some crappy local "businessperson" manufactures pineneapple concentrate (consisting of sugar, saccharin, artificial flavours, artificial colours and a bit of actual pineapple) in Belize and has gone crying to the government to ban imports of "competing" pineapple juices....even though the Dole and Del Monte products are completely different kinds of juice.

This is becoming a disturbing trend in Belize...how long will it be before this government bans imports of every item that someone claims to manufacture in Belize, even though the local item is often horribly inferior to the import?

I agree with the idea of protecting local jobs. But! shouldn't the benchmark be that the locally manufactured product be proven to be as good as the imported "competition" before the imports are banned? Only locally produced orange juice "passes muster" in this case.

We have a government which is crying for more tax dollars and yet they're banning goods which attract import duty. How progressive of them.

S
S
Can't tell you how many requests I get for non-alcoholic beer, Seltzer Waters, Sparkling Waters, Diet Sodas.

The worst thing is that I get loads of requests for local cheese but half the time I can't get it. Same goes for orange juice.

We have the best pineapples in the world in Belize (IMTO) why can't we produce a product superior to what we see on the shelves today. Why can't we compete with Jumex and Valle juices?

Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
Of course the answer to that is "We CAN compete with the best"....but as long as the government takes the bribes and hands out concessions to the manufacturers of crappy products there is no incentive to BE the best.

R
R
What! No diet Coke in Belize? Are you guys serious? My friends and I are traveling to SP in June for the first time. I can deal with only local beers, but I must have my diet Coke or Pepsi.

NO Pepsi...only Coke!! (A John Belushi favorite of mine) They do have diet coke, only it's Coke Lite. But, no pepsi products. And, coke lite isn't available everywhere. Mostly in the stores, not in the restaraunts or bars. Well, a few have it, but not all.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
S
S
Island Supermarket has them all, from Diet Dr, Pepper to Diet Pepsi. They also have fizzy water.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
what exactly is "fizzy water"?

J D Tremblay
Southern Illinois University Press
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
S
S
Seltzer. It is hit and miss on supply though and pricey.

Really??? they have Pepsi....great to know. I don't care for Coke mcuh, but will drink it if it's all they have. Much prefer Pepsi. Thanks SIN

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
this thread went off track, but chris, you have good points. the fruit there is yummy, why cant they produce quality fruit juices that are actually available. as for s&s, c'mon, you are travelling to a foreign country: leave your US tastes behind and try what locals eat & drink!! i cannot understand why this is even an issue?? you kinda make us sound like the rest of the world thinks we are like (ahem, tourists). where you can get it, i highly recommend limeade. my mouth waters just thinking about it. i never had it anywhere as good as in belize.

i leave for turkey next month and hope to find, eat and drink NOTHING american there. JMHO. (whew, thanks for letting me vent). have a nice day.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.