Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Ernie B Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I read a recent artical in the Houston Chronicle (6-30-05)about problems in negotiations with CAFTA. Thoes countries covered by the pact are - Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and the Dominican Republic.

Does anyone have any idea why Belize is not included in the pact? Just curious.

It's probably because Belize accept aid from Cuba. I'm just quessing. confused

E
Ernie B Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Belize also accepts aid from the U.S. ?????

S
S
Belize is a member of the Caribbean Common Market and as such is not in a position to also be involved in the Central American Free Trade Agreement.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Ernie,
As you know, I have become involved with an investigation regarding business practices in Belize. The US government doesn't hold very high regard for the GOB or the way business is conducted. While I don't know how much better or worse the CAFTA nations are, I can't imagine that they would want any part of those issues. Caricom is not as rigid in their limitations.
Something like CAFTA would be great for the people in Belize, but would greatly decrease the ways the GOB could make money.

S
S
Gotta love US Free Trade, pressure smaller economies into opening their doors wide for US products and then back door tax breaks and subsidies at home so the smaller nations products can't compete in the US.

Ibanole, I can't see how CAFTA could be good for Belize. The sugar and citrus industries are heavily lobbied in the US and have repressive subsidies that already damage Belize's economy. What other agricultural or manufacturing base does Belize have that would benefit? Don't say shrimp because there's talk of shrimp farms opening up with new technology in the US. Bet on a serious lobby there to protect interests at home.

S
S
CARICOM Summit Closes on Unifying High Note

Castries, Jul 6 (Prensa Latina) The leaders of the 15 states of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) conclude their 26th regional Summit Wednesday after four days of profound deliberation toward regional integration.

The priorities of the summit were to diminish inequalities among the countries with the Single Market and Caribbean Economy (MUEC) and setting up a fund for development to facilitate trade, as well as tactics to decelerate AIDS in the region.

Participating in the Summit were representatives of CARICOM´s 15 member-states: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Granada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, San Cristobel and Nevis, Saint Vicente and the Grenadines, Santa Lucia, Surinam and Trinidad and Tobago.

Launch of a common passport to facilitate free movement between the member states of MUEC was approved for 2006.

The delegates also proposed measures to assist in solving the crisis in Haiti since the coup d état in February 2004 against President Jean Bertrand Aristide; although they did not recognize the interim government there.

They likewise rejected, and agreed on a strategy to confront, the disadvantageous reform for sugar sales proposed by the European Union for the Africa-Caribbean-Pacific Group.

Specific mechanisms were approved to deal with crime, on the rise in some countries in the area, especially Jamaica.

Most US American citizens that I meet think that the whole world is against Cuba - when in fact the US is the only nation that has embargoes against Cuba.

Amazing what a little propoganda can do to the general population's way of thinking.

S
S
little? a lot, your whole life.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
E
Ernie B Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Some interesting observations, but no real facts. Has the GOB released a statement on this subject? I would be intersted in reading that. Remember, I'm just curious, so don't beat me up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.