Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Gas prices at the pump are going up at midnight tonight. Premium fuel will go up by 25 cents, regular by 18 cents, diesel by 14 cents and kerosene by 16 cents. It's the second increase in three weeks and it will take the price of a gallon of premium fuel to $10.71, regular to $10.60, and diesel to $7.64 in the city. As we understand it, government is continuing its practice of simply passing on the increases in acquisition prices which continue to go up because of the high price per barrel of oil.

Add on more to the price by the time it gets out to the island.

Jeez! What a shame! Simon, I assume your golf cart is electric...?

OMG... guess we have no right to complain in the states. It's only $2.89 for regular unleaded in Houston. I don't get why it's so much higher there.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Nope, I'm on gas, electric wouldn't keep up with the miles I put on.

It's higher here due to the fact that we don't have the buying power that larger countries do. Not sure of how our tax structure comes into play compared to other countries.

In Canada the price of gas in Ontario is around $1CDN (.90US) per litre ($3.40US per gallon). In England gas recently hit $7US per gallon.

oh i feel so bad for you, the price you pay to live in paradise :rolleyes:

Belize should build a small refinery and keep the oil in house. possible and practical, but not corruption free. Simon, if this keeps up skydives will be $1,000usd next year!!!! eek

U forgot the oil simon for us still with 2 stroke engines so that brings it to over $11 a gallon.

ridiculous

Holland is the most expensive in Europe which is close to $8 a gallon so all you Americans be grateful your price is still very very low compared to the rest of the world.

To fill up a compact car in Holland is more than $75 U.S I have filled up a smilar car in the U.S for $22.00

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I remember that from my last visit, even filling a motorcycle was breaking the bank.

try buying fuel in the UK -it is double but we neve complain

H
H
Remember gas in Europe is 95 octane. Premium fuel in the states is around $3.09US per gallon. Things could be a lot worse.

Instead of currency, try talking about the buying power of the average person in the country.
In Belize a common labourer earns about $5 BZ an hour.
That translates to a gallon of gas costing more than two hours wages.
Highly doubtful that gas costs two hours wages in the US, England or Holland.
This is a critical item here - it affects the cost of everything - including a bus-ride to school.

Diane,
in a nutshell, what forces constructions costs up so high?

Filled up my full sized pickup truck yesterday in new jersey, $90.00 us. @ 2.89 a gallon, I can't wait to come down and fill up my boat in a couple of weeks @ over $5.00 a gallon US. eek

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Filled up this aft. $5.37US per gallon at the pump on the backside of the island.

Ouch Simon, Guess i'll have to bring the big bag of money for this trip. By the way we did not forget about the rest of the stuff we have for SAGA. We will see you at the end of the month. smile

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
Di

I beleive the min wage in the UK is around 5.05 poundsan hour

A gallon of gas is around 5 pounds so not quite as bad as belize but still pretty bad

Thanks Gaz for the perspective. That is the kind of info that puts it all in perspective. So back in 2000 when gas was $5 bz a gallon it was still a bit high, but somehow more in line with costs in a first world nation.
Today's costs are simply back-breakers in Belize.

Gay and David - this thread is about gas, not construction but in a nutshell the costs for construction tend to be greatly affected by:
1. buyer demand for first world products and the high cost of obtaining them.
2. hurricane awreness and intent to make a structure that wills tand the test of time
3. taxes
4. weather - last year a lot of money was spent doing things twice - for instance unexpected torrential rains collapse a foudnation hole ready for a cememt pour - days lost pumping the water out of the collapsed hole and then digging it again. wages paid to workers keeping them and families fed whilst waiting for a storm to pass, etc. Hurricanes in the US making certain materials almost impossible to obtain and driving up the prices when you can obtain them.
stuff like that.

YOu can still build a house for 40 a sq

sorry, my fingers hit the wrong button before I was done ---
I wanted also to mention that on AC there is a new requirement related to speticv/sewage disposal. A closed system is now required and it is pretty expensive compared to a septic tank.

so - yes you can build for 40US a sq foot - in Cayo - but not here if you want to have a building that will withstand a storm and will dispose of sewage properly.

I can't type - did you notice - Marty - can we get spell-check for this message board please?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.