Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#196625 - 06/09/06 04:55 AM RC classroom update!
reaper Offline
Last week there was a meeting at San Pedro Town Hall between the "Calendar Girls", Pirate, Mayoress Paz, the director of the Belize Roman Catholic Schools, his accountant, and the Principal. I also attended.

I couldn't begin to tell all of you what kind of thought process, planning and dillemas face the school project. But I'll try!

There are nearly 900 students at the school. The most in all of Belize!

They need more classrooms, but have to maintain a certain "playground" area.

They want to move 240 students to the DFC housing area.

The DFC won't give them any land.

The school sits on a prime lot a block from the beach, probably worth a million $$ US!

They can't sell because there is no alternative site.

An estimated 200 children on the island don't attend school for various reasons.

The San Pedro Roman Catholic School gets $0 from the Vatican.

But now the good news...

Thanks to the Calendar Girls and the SPSC's fundraising AND hard work tracking down the proper officials...

The classrooms have been approved!

New plans need to be drawn and a new bid will be obtained, so it may be a few weeks before things get going. I'm sure there will be a few more minor obstacles to overcome.

Most of you reading this have no idea what these two groups have gone through to get this done. I can assure you it was no simple task.

GREAT JOB LADIES AND SPSC!

p.s. I had nothing to do with the outcome, just an interested observer and reporter. cool

#196626 - 06/09/06 05:04 AM Re: RC classroom update!
reaper Offline
I forgot to mention Chris from PelicanProperties. He wrote a great letter to the editor in the local paper and worked on resolving this issue also.

#196627 - 06/09/06 10:13 AM Re: RC classroom update!
Denny Shane Offline
I am thrilled to hear that things are moving along in a positive manner. Congrats to both groups!

But I am just a little confused. In one sentence you said that "They need more classrooms, but have to maintain a certain "playground" area."

Then down the bottom The classrooms have been approved!

If they don't have room for new classrooms, then where are the new ones going? I'm not trying to be smart here, just trying to understand. eek

P.S. to reaper: good going and thanks for letting us know what's going on down there!

#196628 - 06/09/06 12:53 PM Re: RC classroom update!
captjeff Offline
Great job to all who have put time and money into doing the right thing!!!!!!!!!hope it helps lots of kids live there dream one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#196629 - 06/09/06 01:19 PM Re: RC classroom update!
GAY AND DAVID Offline
that is good news. the children of san pedro always make you smile.

#196630 - 06/09/06 01:40 PM Re: RC classroom update!
reaper Offline
Denny...it's a bit complicated. The design had to change to fit the schoolyard. But that's why they can't level the school and build a larger one, or add about 10 new rooms, which is what is really needed! So the 3 new rooms will be designed to fit the lot. 2 story instead of single.

#196631 - 06/09/06 07:46 PM Re: RC classroom update!
Denny Shane Offline
Ah, ok... got it now! eek

#196632 - 06/09/06 08:32 PM Re: RC classroom update!
Pam&Dave Offline
Reaper - Thanks for the participation and update. When did the letter to the editor appear in the paper? Would love to read it. It's great to hear a positive spin on this issue.

#196633 - 06/09/06 08:49 PM Re: RC classroom update!
Tillie Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Pam&Dave:
Reaper - Thanks for the participation and update. When did the letter to the editor appear in the paper? Would love to read it. It's great to hear a positive spin on this issue.
Your joking right? NOW is when You want to be supportive??????? :rolleyes:

reaper -- thanks for all that you did. Everones help seems to be making things happen.

#196634 - 06/09/06 09:07 PM Re: RC classroom update!
Pam&Dave Offline
confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.