Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#19715 - 09/29/05 08:12 PM Calico Jack, Real-Life Pirate
Marty Offline
From the Magnum Belize Newsletter:
http://www.magnumbelize.com/news/newsletter.html

Calico Jack, Real-Life Pirate

You might have seen the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean” (a sequel, by the way, is set for release in 2006, with plans for a third) and taken a spin on the Disney ride by the same name. But this is more then just legend; pirates of the Caribbean did indeed exist, and Belize was a favorite hangout.

Back in the 17th Century, various bands of ship-wrecked sailors, buccaneers and pirates – many of British and Scottish origin, established permanent bases in the region (not yet known as Belize), harrassing Spanish galleons carrying gold, silver, and hardwoods from Central America to Europe. Spain continually attempted to expel these buccaneers from then Spanish territory, and finally signed treaties in 1763 and 1786 allowing the British to continue to harvest timber in exchange for protection against pirates preying on the Spanish galleons.

Situated on the beach of a remote peninsula of Placencia in the pristine Stann Creek region is Calico Jack’s Village, with a theme inspired in part by the color and character of the 17th-century pirate trades. In fact, Calico Jack too was a real-life pirate: “Calico” Jack Rackham of the early 1700’s, noted more for his taste in clothing and his female crew members than for his mediocre accomplishments as a pirate (read more about pirates online at this entertaining web site: www.thepiratesrealm.com)

Chester “Chet” Williams and Dr. Ydahlia Metzgen-Williams own and operate Calico Jack’s. The resort is close to jungle habitats, vast expanses of fruit and mangrove forests, lagoons and rivers, inlets, islands, and the Caribbean Sea.

Chet is a builder by trade, and inspired by the need for a building material that would withstand the high-velocity winds of an occasional hurricane, he invented UroBlock™ (patent issued in Belize, pending in U.S.), a material whose components and manufacturing processes are ideal for remote tropical structures. The material was used in the construction of Calico Jack’s.

A Mayan designed and pirate-themed, Belizean-owned resort destination, Calico Jack’s Village features seven spacious beachfront cabanas and two villas nestled amongst coconut palms and tropical vegetation on a beautiful secluded beach, 12 miles north of Placencia village. Amenities include a full-service bar and open-air restaurant, swimming pool, complimentary bicycles and kayaks, volleyball, and a large dock over the ocean for lazy afternoons in a hammock with a book or a pina colada. The village offers wedding packages and a variety of land and sea tours.

Calico Jack’s Village appeals to those who would describe themselves as travelers rather than tourists, ready for adventures that are “off-the-beaten track,” with a sense of eagerness to learn about new people, cultures, and natural habitats. They are vacationers wishing to explore Belize and return to “base camp” for a great meal, a comfortable refuge, and an evening of socializing with other travelers.

#19716 - 10/06/05 07:10 PM Re: Calico Jack, Real-Life Pirate
Gela Offline
I enjoyed my 3 night stay at Calico Jack's this past may. I had a truly interesting conversation with "Chet" about how he build it and how it withstood a hurricane.

He told my traveling companion and me that we were "travelers" which has made me smile ever since.

laugh

#19717 - 10/08/05 06:27 PM Re: Calico Jack, Real-Life Pirate
Mel S Offline
For trivia, Capt. Calico Jack had a unique flag. His flag still had the traditional skull, however, instead of crossed bone he had crossed sabers below the skull. Aye, Aye mateys ! ms....

#19718 - 10/14/05 09:00 PM Re: Calico Jack, Real-Life Pirate
KravMagaGal Offline
Thinking of staying at Calico Jack's in December. Trying to decide between Placencia and Belmopan. I love horses, and am thinking of staying at Banana Bank for the first three nights of my visit. But Calico Jack's seems like a lot of fun too. If anyone has more to say about Jack's, I'd love to hear it.

#19719 - 10/15/05 06:11 AM Re: Calico Jack, Real-Life Pirate
Gela Offline
I've also stayed at Banana Bank. Wonderful ranch - lots to do and see. Tough choice - two very different experiences.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (lomckenna, Papa John, 2 invisible), 48 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.