Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Columbus was a cruel 'tyrant', new documents show
Monday, July 17, 2006

MADRID, Spain (AFP): Explorer Christopher Columbus was a cruel and greedy tyrant who ruled the first land he annexed in the New World with a brutal disregard for humanity, according to documents published here Friday.

The documents, discovered in 2005 at the Simancas Archives in Valladolid, northern Spain, quotes 23 contemporary witnesses to Columbus's brutality after he subjugated what is now the Dominican Republic in 1492.

They provide further evidence of the "hidden face" of the man lauded in the West as the so-called discoverer of America, according to Spanish historian Consuelo Varela.

She said the explorer "ruled the colony in a tyranical fashion" and demonstrated "great greed".

In one example, she said Columbus ordered that a woman have her tongue cut off and be paraded nude on the back of a donkey because she dared to say that he came from an inferior class.

He "applied justice without judgement, would not distribute supplies to the colonists and would not allow natives to be baptised so that they could be used as slaves", the historian told reporters.

The island of Santo Domingo, as it was known then, became the launching pad for Colubus's exploration and conquest of the Caribbean and America.

In decades following Columbus' arrival, between 12 and 20 million native Americans were killed or fell victim to diseases brought in by the Spanish.

Ancient civilisations such as the Maya, the Aztecs or the Inca were destroyed, while the continent saw its mineral riches pillaged and its cultural dignity violated.

Bitterness over the destruction lives on, 500 years after Columbus' death in Valladolid on May 20, 1506, at the age of 55.

Spain organised a slew of commemorative events to mark the 500th anniversary of the death of the "The Great Navigator".
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000023/002380.htm

Guess I need to move now -- San Pedro sounds good!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Boo hoo....he brought eventual civility to what would have been 3rd world cultures. 10 dollars and a donut that ol' Consuelo is one of those bleeding heart historians/fiction writers who believes the world would be better if we paid reparations to all the victims (aka "the conquered").

In looking at the case of the woman who had her tongue cut out and paraded nude through town. It was distasteful to have her tongue cut out. I find no fault in Part 2 of the sentence however. eek

Agreed....I'm all for nudity as long as it's done tastefully. smile

As far as her tongue being cut out....that is a little extreme. If she was talking too much they could have just taped her mouth shut.

Damn I'm gonna get in trouble for that one. hahaha

I'm seeing somewhat of a dichotomy in the previous post.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
S
S
In these same documents it outlines Columbus as the one to retake Jerusalem, rebuild the church and bring on the apocalypse. He just happen to run into The Americas before he found the route to the holy land.

I read it on the internet so it must be true.
Ohio should be ashamed to have a city like that :p

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
No seriously. He's dead. Nothing we can do about it now. It is interesting tho.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
After re-thinking, I agree with TannedBanana... taping her mouth shut would be a better idea. You never know when she would need her tongue. eek

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.