Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1984 08/22/06 11:39 AM
S
SanHam2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This was my 3rd time to belize. My first was to San Pedro only with a group of ladies (won't do that again). Rented Casa Tortuga (great). My 2nd visit I split time between San Ignacio (Cahal Pech) and San Pedro (Banyan Bay). All great places to stay. This time I traveled solo and spent 5 days at Ian Anderson's Cave Branch. Since I was on a shoe fringe budget, I caught a cab to the bus station and from there to caves branch's entrance off the highway (yep, two planes, 1 cab, 1 bus and then walk about 1/2 mile). I stayed in the "bunkhouse" which was the steal of the century to me ($15 a night). I lucked out and had the bunkhouse all to myself all week (that means I hogged all the pillows and towels - hee hee). The only downside was wishing I had someone else to ask "did you hear that" in the middle of the night, but the flashlight helps. The beds, outdoor showers ( I want one) and outhouse were clean and comfortable. Although each of my trips were great but different, I have to say I enjoyed this one the most. I met the most wonderful and fun people and this lodge is condusive to mingling and meeting new people (no tv, no phones but I now know 20 different card games). The food is good and plentiful. A special shout out to the chips and salso, the cook for making me fryjacks for breakfast and the way they announce each course of the meal (may I have your lovely attention) The adventures satisfied my love for caves (cave expedition), birds (thanks Abel),and new thrills (ziplining). I celebrated my birthday there (8/17) by booking a 1.5 hr. massage (wonderful). Traveling solo means I adopted or was adopted by many couples and families there. So much so, that many guides thought I came with different people that were staying there. I met people from Hawaii, Denmark, Quebec, Chicago, New York and California just to name a few. Last, but not least, I can't say enough about Ian, the staff and the guides (much luv). I've been trying to hit a different place each time I go, but I've got to come back to this place for sure.

It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I applaude you for going solo. You meet a great bunch of people and enjoyed many tours.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Happy Belated Birthday smile

S
S
Great trip report,a good attitude will go a long way to make a good vacation,and that you have.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
I Love Caves Branch. we always meet folks from all over, the staff is incredible, and the resort is first rate. And the food.... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

garden of eden without the temptation....

S
SanHam2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you NYgal and yes solo travel may seem a little scary at first but once you're there its all good. Scuba do, you are also correct about a good attitude - my first trip w/the group of women ended bad (for them) - they did not have a good attitude and ended up leaving 2 days later (too bad, so sad). Its nice not to have to worry if someone else is having a good time or have discussions about what everyone else wants to do. It was nice not to have to be the "mommy" this time. Marty, I always looked forward to dinner. I told the cook that in my neck of the woods we say you put your foot in it if the food was good and she definitely put her foot in it. And speaking of foot, I still couldn't try the cowfoot soup. Maybe next time.

smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.