Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1990 - 08/25/06 10:47 AM The Danimal does Belize
Dan Carey Offline
&nbsp Hi all,
I just got back from a combined business/goofing off trip. Overall, it was a good time. Here's the lowdown:
  1. I stepped off the plane at Goldson. Coming down the airstairs always reminds me of the old black and white footage of the Beatles arriving at JFK. I cleared customs and took a hack to the Marine Terminal, with a stop at Travellers Liquors to drop off sample bottles for the liter size. Arriving at the water taxi dock in San Pedro, I muscled my bags, photo equipment and dive gear to Ruby's. Ruby's doesn't have my reservation, but a friend has asked me to stay at his vacant apartment so I take a cab down to San Pablo village and unpack. I meet my neighbors, Dave and Wendy.
  2. The next day I arise and load up with my dive gear and Nikonos underwater camera. I set off up the road, but as I pass the Sausage Factory Dave and Wendy offer me a lift. I get off in front of the Holiday and dump my dive gear at Bottom Time. I grab a sweet roll and coffee at Celi's and await departure time. The dive boat is crewed by Chocolaté and Eddie, two good hands. It was a good day of diving. The other divers want to go to the Blue Hole on the next day, so I won't be seeing them for a while.
  3. I get up the next morning and walk to town with my Nikonos, having left the dive gear at Bottom Time. There's bad news: Since the other divers are doing a day trip to the Blue Hole, it's not profitable to dive today. I get a bite to eat and shuffle back to the apartment. On the way home I run into Island Dog, Mike Gvara. We arrange to meet up sometine in the vague future. Getting home, I find my neighbors are moving, loading up their boat for the trip to their place up north. I help them move. They say "you want to go for a ride?" which actually means "can we swindle you into helping unpack?", and since I have nothing better to do I hop in and take a ride in the boat. After we unload and check out their property, which is becoming another "resort", we do a little fishing, where Dave tells me how he's lost an anchor in 50' of water. I offer to recover the anchor for him usinf SCUBA. We head home for a barbeque. While we're eating, Doc stops by. He's developing some land west of Ambergris Caye into, you guessed it, a resort. We arrange to meet up later.
  4. The next day I get some diving in. My buddy Eddie has the day off, so Rudy is divemaster. I don't know Rudy as well, but he's okay. One of the other divers is crazy about swim-throughs, so we dive Victoria Canyons and they all swim through come caverns. Caverns aren't very photogenic, so I swim around and snap some photos. It was a good day of diving. The dive boat drops me off at the Banyan Bay dock to make my trip home easier. I get home and load up a Quadrunner with my dive gear and set off to rendezvous with Dave and Wendy. This brings me across the new bridge and a few miles north of the cut. We hop into the boat and head out to salvage the anchor. Dave's got it marked with his on-board GPS/depthfinder and I haul it aboard without much difficulty. We head back to San Pablo and feast on pizza from Peperoni's. Dave and Wendy haven't had pizza in months and they really enjoyed it.
  5. I get a call the next morning, "no diving today, not enough divers". This is getting old. I call Mike (Island Dog) up and we spend the morning goofing off. We meet at Canibal's, where I had one of their great breakfast burritos. We run around town, dropping off artwork to the local shops, then head down south. After a while I meet up with Doc and tour his property. He's got a nice chunk of land. It's kind of sad that it's being "developed".
  6. The next day I head to the mainland for business. It's raining and I wish I hadn't bought a return ticket on the water taxi, but we arrive in Belize City without getting drenched. I drop off my bags at the Mopan and head to the distillery. The honcho is AWOL. Nobody has a good idea where he's gotten off to, so I hang out with his sister. She's the general manager, so she's got some pull. She tells me that the liter bottles will work out for Travellers. Can I get her a quote on costs? I guess so, why not? We talk about things that need to get done. I suspect that they won't get done. That's how it goes, doing business in the tropics. "Yeah, mon, we'll do that". No you won't, but it's your story, so tell it the way you want. I scoot out of there into the driving rain and take care of getting my driver's license renewed, doing some banking and paying the rent on my post office box. Little stuff that I need to get out of the way. I grab some stewed chicken at El Centro and head bact to the Mopan. It's raining hard now, so I call it a night.
  7. Today, I fly out. I call my crony Pulu to see what's up. He's got some things to do, but asks if I'd like to ride along. Okay, let's go. We run around town, taking care of business. He's got a basketball team that he coaches and they scrimmage before the big game. Eventually, we hustle off to the airport and I settle in at Jet's for a few minutes before boarding. I get home late, but it was a great trip.

Well, that's all the news that's fit to print, plus a lot of other noise that probably wasn't too interesting. Hey, nobody promised you a rose garden did they?

&nbsp &nbsp Dan
"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote

#1991 - 08/25/06 11:05 AM Re: The Danimal does Belize
NYgal Offline
smile Loved it....thanks for sharing your adventures.

#1992 - 08/25/06 11:13 AM Re: The Danimal does Belize
Thanks, Dan! Sounds like business is going well - did you get the contract stuff all worked out?

#1993 - 08/25/06 12:46 PM Re: The Danimal does Belize
SanHam2 Offline
Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow, ride with the tide. Good times. smile

#1994 - 08/25/06 05:56 PM Re: The Danimal does Belize
klcman Offline
Nice job Dan! When do we get to hear the next chapter?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#1995 - 08/26/06 10:08 AM Re: The Danimal does Belize
Richard Chambers Offline
Bigger bottles, great idea!! eek

#1996 - 08/26/06 11:46 AM Re: The Danimal does Belize
captjeff Offline
dan great post soooooooooooo sorry we could not hook up ,next trip your down will plan better.you sound like my kind of guy..a cool guy who lives the dream each day...
Living The Dream Every Day!

#1997 - 09/06/06 12:45 PM Re: The Danimal does Belize
Dan Carey Offline
&nbsp All,
here's a couple of shots from the trip.

Me, at Jet's bar, waiting for the flight out.

A sea turtle off the reef.

The church at San Pablo village, Ambergris Caye Belize

Here's what I think is a Mennonite cabin, being installed in Belize City.

That's it for now. More later.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan
"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote

#1998 - 09/06/06 06:26 PM Re: The Danimal does Belize
Marty Offline
very nice!!! thanks!!!!

#1999 - 09/07/06 07:57 AM Re: The Danimal does Belize
captjeff Offline
Nice photos ,think I know you !!!! Seen you around ??Are you the good looking guy ,that drinks one barrel Rum and oj in am. Rum in pm and Rum in the evining???? You love to dive !!!And the pretty girls chase after.!!!!!!!And know how to live the dream..You sure look like that guy...
Living The Dream Every Day!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (JaHo, 3 invisible), 45 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,223 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.