Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#19971 - 11/15/05 01:06 AM Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
YOUNG AMERICAN WOMAN MURDERED IN TOLEDO According to Belize police and other sources, a 20-year-old woman from the U.S. was murdered in Indian Creek village in Toledo District Sunday evening, November 13. The woman, described as a backpacker who had been studying Spanish in Guatemala, arrived in Belize on Thursday, November 10. According to a police spokesman, she went to Toledo on Sunday, had a few drinks in Indian Creek with local villagers, and was found dead, apparently from strangulation, late Sunday night. Allegedly she also had been raped. Police say they have arrested a suspect. Indian Creek, a Ketchi village of about 600 people, 25 miles north of Punta Gorda near the Southern Highway, is near Nim Li Punit Mayan site.

--Lan Sluder

#19972 - 11/15/05 02:08 AM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
SIN, I write books, not PROMOTING anything but presenting the facts, good and the bad.

Guess it's kinda difficult for some folks, especially in your line of work, to understand that.

--Lan Sluder

#19973 - 11/15/05 04:15 AM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
casa de amor Offline
crime happens everywhere, its good to know the facts.

#19974 - 11/15/05 05:17 AM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
SP Daily Offline
Lan: When's the last time you wrote anything good about Belize? seems like your're fixated on the bad stuff. Some kinda sickness with you?

#19975 - 11/15/05 05:24 AM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
seashell Offline
The guy is reporting the news. What's wrong with that?

It's a warning if nothing else.

#19976 - 11/15/05 08:55 AM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
Kra-Z-K Offline
Jesse, are you interested in having a someone write a book on Belize with all the current and correct facts on Belize? If so would it be excepted from a young person's perspective who truly experiences Belize and has spent an extended period of time here? wink

It seems most Belize books are very outdated, and yet even when a new book is published it is already outdated but it seems most books are several years behind.

#19977 - 11/15/05 03:37 PM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
Jesse, of the seven books on Belize I've done, and the hundreds of articles for newspapers and magazines, I'd say 98% or 99% of the information is positive or simply reports facts, neither positive or negative.

Maybe 1 or 2% of my material discusses things like crime, corruption, etc.

As I say I'm not in the business of promoting real estate, timeshares or anything else, nor do I put a positive spin on everything in Belize, but I suspect that over the last 15 years my books and articles have directly or indirectly encouraged tens of thousands of travelers to visit and experience Belize.

There's a tremendous amount about Belize that is wonderful -- 99% of the people, the culture, the reef, sea and the cayes, the Mayan sites, the rainforests, etc. -- but there are also dangers and difficulties, and I think it's tragic to mislead people, whether visitors, retirees, or investors, into thinking that everything is perfect. If I or my family were coming to Belize for the first time, or to invest, I'd want a realistic appraisal of the risks as well as the rewards.

It's also too bad that somebody who has an "official" role on the forum is permitted to make personal attacks against members here. This is not the first time you've done it.

Anybody who has the time and inclination can write a book or an article on Belize, and these days, it can be published and distributed at relatively low cost. If somebody has an idea and the grit to actually do the work, go ahead write that book or article, whether it's positive, negative, or neutral, and get it out there in the marketplace and see how it is accepted.

--Lan Sluder

#19978 - 11/15/05 03:51 PM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
SP Daily Offline
You're right Lan, for many years you were a positive force on matters of Belize, but lately you seem to have changed the tone of your messages to become mostly negative. This is particularly hurtful to our community because you are a respected authority on Belize.

#19979 - 11/15/05 05:14 PM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
Anita Fish Offline
I really like Lan's work and reporting. Keep it up Lan, you have always been an excellent source of info on Belize.

#19980 - 11/15/05 05:27 PM Re: Young American Woman Murdered in Toledo
LaurieMar Offline
It is good to be knowledgeable about the good, the bad, and the ugly if you are interested in a country - whether it be to live there or to visit (or for whatever other reason!).

I, too, am tired of some of these perceived personal attacks as one ignorant comment was directed at one of my posts a while back. So, I take it with a grain of salt and consider the source.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (CaptOneIron), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.