Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DB Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have worked for companies based in America, Europe and Asia. I have to say that the European approach is definitely the healthiest (and one that the folks at PWC have adopted/referred to in this article). Wonder what the trend mentioned in this recently published story, if accurate, means to places like Belize and AC so dependent on American tourism? Maybe some of you folks in the travel business can comment. ......

---------------------------------
The Rise of Shrinking-Vacation Syndrome
[B][/B]

New York Times

By TIMOTHY EGAN
Published: August 20, 2006
SEATTLE, Aug. 19 - In August, when much of the world is hard at work trying to do nothing, Jeff Hopkins and his wife, Denise, usually take a week to chase fish in Olympic National Park - a ferry ride and two tanks of gas from here with a boat in tow. But this year, their summer vacation is dead, a victim of $3-a-gallon gas and job uncertainty.

"This is our vacation," said Mr. Hopkins, loading up his drift boat for an evening of fishing in the city just after getting off work at the Boeing plant, where he has been employed for 15 years.

Even before toothpaste could clog an airport security line and a full tank of gas was considered an indulgence, Americans had begun to sour on the traditional summer vacation. But this summer, a number of surveys show that American workers, who already take fewer vacations than people in nearly all industrial nations, have pruned back their leisure days even more.

The Conference Board, a private research group, found that at the start of the summer, 40 percent of consumers had no plans to take a vacation over the next six months - the lowest percentage recorded by the group in 28 years. A survey by the Gallup Organization in May based on telephone interviews with a national sample of 1,003 adults found that 43 percent of respondents had no summer vacation plans.

About 25 percent of American workers in the private sector do not get any paid vacation time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. Another 33 percent will take only a seven-day vacation, including a weekend.

"The idea of somebody going away for two weeks is really becoming a thing of the past," said Mike Pina, a spokesman for AAA, which has nearly 50 million members in North America. "It's kind of sad, really, that people can't seem to leave their jobs anymore."

Shrinking-vacation syndrome has gotten so bad that at least one major American company, the accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, has taken to shutting down its entire national operation twice a year to ensure that people stop working - for about 10 days over Christmas, and 5 days or so around the Fourth of July.

"We aren't doing this to push people out the door," said Barbara Kraft, a partner at the firm in the human resources office. "But we wanted to create an environment where people could walk away and not worry about missing a meeting, a conference call or 300 e-mails."

The company tracks vacation time so that when employees fall behind, they are reminded through an electronic nag that they should be getting out of the office more. And posters evoking lazy days away from work were put up in the New York offices. Hint. Hint.

The heightened pace of American life, aided by ever-chattering electronic pocket companions, gets much of the blame for the inability of many people to take extended periods of forced sloth.

"I thought I would take at least five days off and go somewhere, but I couldn't find the time," said Tina Yang, who teaches first grade at Fruit Ridge Elementary School in Sacramento. She has the summers off, but her days are filled with catch-up work, conferences and projects, she said.

"I realize I just go to work and then home, work and then home - it's no way to live," Ms. Yang said.

The Travel Industry Association, the largest trade group representing the industry, found that the average American expects his or her longest summer trip to last only six nights. And it takes three days just to begin to unwind, experts say.

Company leaders at PricewaterhouseCoopers said they started their nationwide shutdown because people were not getting their batteries recharged. Now that the entire work force of about 29,000 takes a vacation, company officials say they are seeing positive results.

"It has taught our people what it is like to have unencumbered time," Ms. Kraft said.

Interesting piece. Lou Dobbs of CNN often opines regarding the shrinking American middle class and why they are working longer and harder than their European counterparts.

Perhaps it is because the consumer-driven society and the overuse of plastic to make purchases? Petrol prices in Europe as many of you already know, has been higher for years...has this curtailed the summer holidays?

Europe is far more expensive to travel in as many of you know. So where does this difference stem from?

Just some Sunday thoughts (hic)....back to the bar.

whaddaya mean yer all outta Jack's?
D
DB Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Good point Cool..

I guess our societal privileges come with a price... however I wonder at times at what expense? I guess the answer lies like so many answers do, in the middle somewhere.

Unfortunately so many people worlk themselves silly to the point that they cannot venture to take a deserved rest.... sad huh!?!

Whoa!!! way to philisophical for a Sunday eveninng that desrerves another glass or two of wine laugh We'll tackle it again next week.....

D
DB Offline OP
OP Offline
D
..oh yea, meet you all at the bar laugh

We are taking 5 of ours on AC right now so screw them if can't get along without us for a week. cool cool

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Cannot speak for other parts of the country, but as far as the Jersey Shore is concerned you would think - by the traffic - that gas was 3 cents a gallon and not 3 dollars. Heavy vacation weekends, super heavy traffic. Being in the tourist industry, people have not held back this summer in this area. Maybe watching their nickles but most assuredly spending them. Business is up by 12-14% partially due to dry weather and patially due to increased spending. No change in cash vs. plastic. Happy summer means longer visit to AC! laugh laugh laugh

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
At my last job, I traded in part of an offered raise for more vacation time. At my present job, I just negotiated a ton of vacation time up front. It's not quite as good as those cushy government jobs some of my friends have (and you know who you are!), but it's pretty close. I only work to support my vacation habits! smile

Stop pointing fingers!
My Grandpa told me when I turned 12...
"Boy, never invest in anything that eats and s*&ts...and for God's sake, get a city job!"
Damn he was one smart mill worker!!! laugh

We have been extremely slow this summer. The buzz in the travel industry is that people are taking closer, shorter vacations. Fear mongering, high airfares, high hotel & tour prices all take their toll. I have a few clients in Belize later in August, one couple in Sept and then no one booked to come to Belize till Dec. confused

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Ah, reaper - I was pointing fingers all right, but not at you. However, now that you mention it you do have it pretty good being on the company dole! laugh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.