Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello friends!
ok along with my {bringing doggy into the country} question, I am wondering if anyone knows the actual status/availability of kidney hemodialysis to travelers in Belize? Oh no wait my question was about living off of US social security in Belize.

I think the last time I posted, it was to get help convincing my NEW husband to come to my fav country for our honeymoon....which never happened because he went into congestive heart failure due to kidney failure, three weeks after the wedding. Well I suppose you could say we had a two week honeymoon in the regional hospital! They even let me sleep there, in his private room and they even fed me once in a while too! And get this ...all on the Fed Gov's tab (IHS-Indian Health Services)! Geeee what a vacation I tell ya!
Never the less....he actually wants to come to Belize now but is permanently on dialysis, 3 days a week, 4hrs 40min a day.
I know there is dialysis there but not sure how the system works.

Ok my main question was to those eXpats of the US or anyone in the know...
If my husband quits work for health reasons and gets disability $$, then can we live off that $$ in Belize? Do you think? Is it being done?

I hate life right now frown and all I can think about is moving him down to beautiful Belize, where we can live a peaceful life amongst friends! :p But he may get a transplant soon, yay! So I guess we just have to hold out a lil longer.

Gee...we just celebrated our 1 yr anniversry too, man time goes fast!

please dont be afraid to email me directly

Sarah

OP Offline

U
U
A friend of mine was living on her disability payments in Belize. She lived here two years, and it seemed she was set financially, although she was receiving alamony money also.
Hope that helps.

OP Offline
Thanx Under Da Water. It is helpful to know it has been done. I guess I am thinking more along legal terms of getting govt $$ and using it. Like is it ok to live outside the US and still recieve those funds? I am guessing no but I am sure those minor details can be worked out. Keep a US address and account and such?????? Anybody?

And if you are living in Belize what about medical stuff?

U
U
I don't see why they would stop your funds. Just say you are on extended vacation, and keep your address and account in the U.S.
The medical abilities of this island are some what limited, so you'll want to contact local doctors for specifics.

(((( HUG )))))...share with Husband .. and Congratulations on your anniversary.
Wish I could be of better assistance smile

OP Offline
AWWWWW thank u NYgal, back atcha! Wasnt that u that had a broken leg or something a wayz back? hmmm cant remember. well anywho hope ur cool and all.

And thanx again Under, I learned a lil bout med stuff on the main land and they were giving meds to tourists for free because they said they had a National Health Care system, but I also know hospital stays, visits are not free and dialysis is extremely expensive.

Hi ya Sarah!
Congrats as well on your anniversary! Anne Child was recently married and her "elopement" anniversary is in November and the "shin dig" that broke the bank was in N.Y. this past June.
I hope your questions get answered and you both have long happy lives sharing your dreams together! I sure wish you had a few more t-shirts available too... as ours are now pretty much spent. wink
Take Care!!!

Sarah, are you talking about social security disability? You just said "disability". If you are go to www.socialsecurity.gov to research it. I would think you would be able to get it mailed anywhere you want. I don't think staying in the US is a requisit part of receiving ss funds.

Actually one of the requirements for receiveing
social security disability is that you reside in the U.S.

I have a American/Belizean that is living in Belize and receiving benefits. In order to "cheat" the system her check is deposted into an US account that has another family member on it.

Her problem is that they keep scheduling hospital visits and Doctors appointments that she must keep that require her to fly back every few months. Costs of airline tickets just about wipe out her montly check, however she does get her meds free.

Penalties can be costly if they catch you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.