Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#20129 - 11/24/05 03:38 PM need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
thnkart Offline
I would like to book a room at the jungle lodge tikal before I arrive in belize although it seems you must pay a premium price to do this.

I have heard that rooms at the Jungle lodge are around $35 but when I inquire about pre-booking, I can only get a price on a package...$126 per person, which includes lunch and breakfast and transportation to the Flores airport.

What is even worse about this situation is that the tour company through which I was inquiring, Mayaworld Tours, does not accept credit cards and would want the money wired to their bank account.

I am not at ALL comfortable with this as I would have no recourse were the company to fail to provide my services.

I am NOT a wait until the last minute type person. I always worry that on the one day that I want to stay somewhere, the entire boy scouts of america will have the place booked...or something like that. BUT I am beginning to face the fact that I will just have to wait until I get to San Ignacio (the night before my trip to Tikal) and make arrangements from there.

Any advice? Has anyone dealt with Mayawalk Tours?

#20130 - 11/24/05 07:06 PM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
Kra-Z-K Offline
do you have to stay at the jungle lodge? Unless you really have your heart set on staying there I recommend staying in Flores and taking one of the collectivo cabs for $6 to Tikal, about a half hour ride. Flores is a really cute town, and plenty of nice hotels for $25-35 US. All of them that I know of take credit cards. My room was even on the lake there. It is worth a night or two in Flores.

I personally would not wire money to a hotels or tour companies bank account.

#20131 - 11/25/05 07:14 AM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
thnkart Offline
thanks for your advice. We only have one night and would like to stay on the grounds at Tikal. I understand there are 3 hotels there so I guess any of the 3 would do.

#20132 - 11/26/05 07:56 PM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
Kra-Z-K Offline
why do you want to stay on the grounds of tikal? Not much to see/do. Flores is so cute. I was only there one night too.

#20133 - 11/26/05 08:01 PM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
SimonB Offline
We always used Jungle Lodge when I worked with Belize Expeditions (we were the land operator for International Expeditions) always had great reviews, especially on the guides.

#20134 - 11/26/05 08:04 PM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
SimonB Offline
If you have no luck with Mayawalk give Katie Valk a ring at info@belize-trips.com. Maybe she can help.

#20135 - 11/27/05 10:14 AM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
thnkart Offline
oops!!! I relize that I put Mayawalk at the end of my message and it's MayaWORLD. don't want to cause confusion as I have heard Mayawalk is a very good company.
thanks again everyone for your help!

#20136 - 11/27/05 11:02 AM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
SimonB Offline
Looked at MayaWorld site and there is no contact information to speak of, I would find another agent. One that doesn't take cards can't be that much of an operation (even friends of mine who run very small tour companies take cards.)

#20137 - 11/29/05 04:13 AM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
lacysbeach Offline
All I have to say is that you need to relax and take it as it comes. Don't try to overbook and if you are unable to get the trip you want, ....do something else FUN!!You will ride on the itenery ride until it holds you hostage, BUT... when you free yourself, you can make magic!! Have your best time!! Love,

#20138 - 11/29/05 06:04 PM Re: need help with jungle lodge tikal/mayaworld tours
kippe Offline
I would go for Flores. Great little town with decent restaurants. It get's dark around 5.30 and then? Unless you like to hang around and chat with other travellers. There are a lot of stuff online1 Good luck

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.