Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#201357 - 09/20/06 07:54 PM United Nations
PalapaBob Offline
Could this gentleman make this speech if the UN wasn't in NY?

At U.N., Chavez Calls Bush 'The Devil'
By Bill Brubaker and Colum Lynch
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, September 20, 2006; 4:12 PM
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez today called President Bush "the devil" and the "world dictator" on the floor of the U.N. General Assembly, then asserted that the United Nations suffers from a "mortal disease" because it is dominated by the "North American empire."
"Yesterday, ladies and gentlemen, from this rostrum, the president of the United States, the gentleman to whom I refer as the devil, came here, talking as if he owned the world," Chavez told the General Assembly. "I think we could call a psychiatrist to analyze yesterday's statement made by the president of the United States."

Speaking from the podium where Bush spoke a day earlier, Chavez said he can still smell the "sulfur" -- a reference to the scent of Satan.
U.S. officials declined to comment on Chavez's speech.
"We're not going to address that kind of comic strip approach to international affairs," said John Bolton, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
Chavez had gotten personal with Bush before, calling him "Mister Devil," among other names, but never in such a rarified forum.
Today, he called the U.S. president "the spokesman of imperialism" and accused him of trying to "preserve the current pattern of domination, exploitation and pillage of the peoples of the world."
"The world is waking up," Chavez said. "I have the feeling, dear world dictator, that you are going to live the rest of your days as a nightmare because the rest of us are standing up, all those who are rising up against American imperialism."
Bush, in his address to the General Assembly yesterday, chastised the governments of several countries -- notably Iran, Syria and Sudan. But he did not mention Venezuela, and he did not direct any personal insults at any leaders, or even mention them by name.
Taking aim at the United Nations, Chavez told the annual meeting of the world body that has drawn dozens of world leaders: "I don't think anybody in this room could defend the system. Let's be honest. The U.N. system born after the Second World War collapsed. It's worthless."
Later, at a news conference, Chavez called for a "re-foundation" of the United Nations.
"There is no way to save it," he asserted. "There is no room for reform. This is a mortal disease. . . . The system was created for a certain era, but the era is over. It was designed for" a time when the U.S. and Soviet Union dominated world affairs. In rhetoric often used by his friend, ailing Cuban President Fidel Castro, Chavez referred to the United States as an "empire" that has been a scourge to poor nations.
"The United States empire is on the way down and it will be finished in the near future for the good of all mankind," Chavez said. "I hope that we will never have to face another empire. That's why I believe we need to re-found the system . . . I don't know whether it should be called the United Nations again or not."

Chavez said a committee of world leaders should be formed to determine the future of the United Nations.
The future, Chavez told reporters, "will not be easy because the North American empire, the imperialism of the White House, is enormous. . . . In this struggle of David and Goliath, we are David. And Goliath will fall down."
Chavez's address follows of series of strident anti-American speeches at the United Nations by U.S. adversaries, including Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad and Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir. Together, they represented an emboldened alliance of oil-rich states who defied U.S. demands to change their policies on a range of issues, including the development of nuclear technology to the role of U.N. peacekeepers in Darfur.
"The president of the United States came to talk to the peoples -- to the peoples of the world," Chavez told the general assembly. "What would those peoples of the world tell him if they were given the floor? What would they have to say?
"I think I have some inkling of what the peoples of the south, the oppressed people think. They would say, 'Yankee imperialist, go home.' "
These comments came days after Chavez returned from Cuba, which hosted a meeting of the nonaligned movement, an organization of states that is dominated by developing countries.
Today, Chavez chided opponents of the Cuban regime who expected Castro to die quickly after his government disclosed he had a serious illness last month.
" . . . They thought, 'Oh, Fidel was going to die.' But they're going to be disappointed because he didn't," said Chavez, who visited Castro in his hospital room. "And he's not only alive, he's back in his green fatigues."
Lynch reported from the United Nations. Staff writer William Branigin contributed to this report.
I've already told you more than I know.

#201358 - 09/20/06 08:21 PM Re: United Nations
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
It is very important for us, in our efforts to promote freedom and liberty, not to sacrifice our own principles.
– Clark Kent Ervin
Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#201359 - 09/20/06 08:25 PM Re: United Nations
San Pedro Daily Offline
Ted Turner Says Iraq War among History's "Dumbest"
The U.S. invasion of Iraq was among the "dumbest moves of all time" that ranks with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and the German invasion of Russia, billionaire philanthropist Ted Turner said on Tuesday.

The founder of CNN and unabashed internationalist also defended the right of Iran to have nuclear weapons and the effectiveness of the United Nations and, in a jocular mood, advocated banning men from elective office worldwide in a Reuters Newsmaker appearance.

Alternately combative and humorous, Turner spoke nine years after his pledge to donate $1 billion to the United Nations over 10 years and on the same day President Bush addressed the U.N. General Assembly a mile away.

The U.S. invasion of Iraq has caused "incalculable damage" that will take 20 years to overcome "if we just act reasonably intelligently."

"It will go down in history, it is already being seen in history, as one of the dumbest moves that was ever made by anybody. A couple of others that come to mind were the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and the German invasion of Russia," Turner told the forum.

"It literally broke my heart. You don't start wars just because you don't like somebody. ... I wouldn't even start a war with Rupert Murdoch," Turner said, referring to his onetime cable network rival.

Often contrarian, Turner called it a "joke" that Bush demanded that Iran abandon any ambitions for nuclear weapons while at the same time hoping to ban all such bombs.

"They're a sovereign state," Turner said of Iran. "We have 28,000. Why can't they have 10? We don't say anything about Israel -- they've got 100 of them approximately -- or India or Pakistan or Russia. And really, nobody should have them.

"They aren't usable by any sane person."

One way to reduce such dangers in the world would be to leave women in charge, said the former husband of Jane Fonda.

"Men should be barred from public office for 100 years in every part of the world. ... It would be a much kinder, gentler, more intelligently run world. The men have had millions of years where we've been running things. We've screwed it up hopelessly. Let's give it to the women."

In the meantime, the United Nations represents the best hope, Turner said.

While the world body is ridiculed as ineffective and irrelevant by its harshest critics and often criticized by its strongest advocates, Turner offered what was then one-third of his net worth to the world body nine years ago.

"I am absolutely certain we would not have made it through the Cold War without the U.N.," Turner said. "When Khrushchev at the U.N. took his shoe off and hit podium he was so mad, but he had a place to let off steam. If the U.N. hadn't been there, that would have been war right then."

When a questioner from the audience challenged Turner on the United Nations's value, Turner shot back.

"The war between Lebanon and Israel and Hizbollah would still be going on if it hadn't been for the U.N., and that's only in the last two weeks, Bubba."

© Reuters 2006

#201360 - 09/20/06 08:51 PM Re: United Nations
PalapaBob Offline
Ted Turner quotes? I rest my case. Maybe something from Jimmy Carter next?
I've already told you more than I know.

#201361 - 09/20/06 09:30 PM Re: United Nations
or Pee Wee Herman, or Bozo, or Charlie McCarthy ?

#201362 - 09/20/06 09:33 PM Re: United Nations
Palapa, you have to have had a case prior to being able to rest it!!! :p

#201363 - 09/20/06 09:56 PM Re: United Nations
beachboy Offline
I listened to the Iranian Presidents speech in absolute discust and fear. I can see how far we all are from each other.

When we look at the issues from both sides it is apparent that someone has to police the issues of such weapons. But whom?

My concerns are that following the invasion of Iraq the second time (as the job should have done correctly in the first place) The USA has made a rod for it's own back which frankly is unlikely to recover from under the present administration.

Whilst the UN is inaffectual in some ways it is representative, whilst any individual nation of huge strength is not.

There is no doubt that if further military action is taken in the middle east without real justifiable cause we could really see a third world war.

Religion has throughout history been the resultant cause of conflict. The modern methology is terrorism. We must never lose sight of the fact that the old fashioned method has been around since time begun and has not gone away.

I fail to see why the world stage has shifted to the middle east, the centre of the muslim faith when we little understand the values and culture.

We started playing around in that arena during the Second World War. We have no business to be interfering in other countries business willy nilly.

Surely it is for the UN to be given more power and the whole world condem not one nation. Nuclear weapons should be absolutely banned worldwide, as should all weapons of mass destruction.

Any nation who chooses to breach such laws could be kept under control by the world nations. Whosoever thought that Communism would fall so quickly?

It is only by education that such changes are made. It may take another generation before this stage calms down.

You rarely see me post something so serious but this subject is close to my heart

#201364 - 09/20/06 09:57 PM Re: United Nations
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol.

-W.C. Fields

#201365 - 09/20/06 10:02 PM Re: United Nations
beachboy Offline
Rykat I once read the Koran, it is so punishing and violent. It is fear driven ,I really wonder where this will all end.

In many ways the muslims have been restrained when you consider their teachings.

Terrorism is nothing when you consider what else they could do.

"Never drink Water, Fish F#ck in it!" W.C.Fields

#201366 - 09/20/06 10:10 PM Re: United Nations
I fear with many millions dead and I doubt that they will be on this continent. frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,286 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.