Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#204151 10/27/06 11:53 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I know there are quite a few people from Canada on this board, so probably no better place to ask some questions.

My family is having a reunion over the Xmas holidays in Birch Bay and Blaine, WA, within just miles of the Canadian border. I want to spend some time checking out Vancouver, Vancouver Island and have heard great things about a place called White Rock. Any comments on places to go, see and do? Thanks!

#204152 10/27/06 11:57 AM
if u go to VanCity... Robson Street!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh shop shop shop!! it's seriously evil down that street everything is there... well almost!! but that's my fave spot... and they have a HUGE MAC store there... if ur into makeup!

btw the ppl in VanCity (its really the only place i've been in that area of BC) but they are really friendly... usually always a smile on there face!

Enjoy ur trip!! and bring a warm coat... doesn't usually snow in that area but it gets quite chilly!

#204153 10/27/06 12:26 PM
Hon Offline
In Vancouver: Stanley Park, the Aquarium (the mister convinced me that I should try scuba diving there), as ida said Robson St for shopping and there is a great, moderately priced ($100cdn for 2 with a bottle of decent wine) restaurant, Joe Forte's on Thurlow just off Robson.

On the Island, depending on the time of year, the Botanical Gardens in Victoria are magnificent. The west coast at Tofino is spectacular but it will take the better part of a day to get there from Vancouver.

As far as I know, White Rock is a mostly retirement community...a great place to live but not much to do or see as a visitor. Because it is in the delta area, there are no mountain views to speak of either.

My son lives in North Vancouver and we have visited there several times. We love it! If you have specific questions, let me know. If I don't know the answers, I will ask my son.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
#204154 10/27/06 01:22 PM
Hi, I live just outside of Vancouver, most of the good places have been mentioned already, you may want to go uo Grouse Mountain for the view,any questions let me know I will be more than happy to help, hope you enjoy your time here,Cheers

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Have Mercy
#204155 10/28/06 03:39 PM
F
F
Hi LaurieMar
I don't post a lot, but do lurk....I live in Vancouver, so hope I can add some useful information for you.
White Rock is a small community, just over the border (in the Delta area as previously mentioned). While there are a lot of retirees living there, it is popular in the summer months for its beaches and funky shops and restaurants that line the main drag that runs parallel to the beach boardwalk. That being said, during December, there isn't much "excitement" in this area for tourists.
Ditto to what the others have posted regarding Vancouver - Robson Street for shopping, Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain. Depending on the weather, you may enjoy walking a section of the seawall (or the whole way = 10 kilometers)that goes around Stanley Park and English Bay.
There is fabulous dining from quick to leisurely and in all kinds of price ranges, and ethnicities.
Another tip...while we receive minimal snow, we do see more than our fair share of rain. You may consider bringing a "brolly" - and if not - they are sold EVERYWHERE!
If you like wine, British Columbia has 40+ wineries and supply to restaurants/bars and liquor stores. Might be a good opportunity to try some! The majority of the wineries are located in the Okanagan area (about 4 hours east of Vancouver), however, there are a few wineries on Vancouver Island that you might want to consider visiting.
Hope this is helpful!

#204156 10/30/06 11:47 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks all - some good information. Definitely shopping, eating, etc.

Frannie: I am a huge wine fan, but won't be able to make it to wine area. I consider myself lucky that I only live 90 minutes from one of the most beautiful valleys and wine producing areas on the world - Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 370 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.