Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#204343 10/30/06 09:33 AM
B
OP Offline
B
My wife wants a change from Ambergris Caye, and we're looking at Roatan. For those who've been, how do you think it compares to A.C.? If we do go, I'd like to find something similar to where I stay on Ambergris--i.e., a place with a great view, but still near town so I can walk to shops, restaurants, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

L
L
I haven't yet been, but think it may be the next destination on my travel menu. I am checking out www.lunabeachresort.com. Seems like it may be what you are looking for, as I want the same things.

I am curious as to recommendations also. Islenutt, Seashell, others? What are your thoughts?

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
L
L
Hi Gela! LOL! 24 days! Wooo hoooo...

Wooo Hoooo Laurie laugh

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
belizelaw.
I would think after checking out Joanie the divemaster, A trip there would defintely be in order eek "piece of mind"!

H
H
There is a pretty different vibe in Roatan to SP, There aren't as many resorts or hotels within walking distance to town. I stayed at Las Rocas at West Bay Beach and they do have a boat that takes you into town (kind of irregular). The beaches are definately more sandy but also buggier. I think Roatan is probably like SP was about 10-15 years ago. It's definately a dive orientated vacation location and I dont think there is as much to do as SP (ie shops, bars). Roatan is definately beautiful - is't really spectacular flying in and way more lush than SP. They do have Zip lines on the island and there is a dolphin experience place too. I pretty much hung out at the hotel most of the time as i was diving 3 times a day, my friend did some other activities (monkey place or something i think) with some others from the resort. I would definately go back for the diving and we met some really nice people. I dont think it's as social as SP and you dont feel like you've got quite as much freedom (ie you cant walk everywhere) The security gaurds with guns at all the hotels is also a bit of a shock!! If you want any specific info just let me know -
Hilary

We went to Roatan last January. We stayed at the Oakridge area. Big mistake! To far away from the West end (i.e. shops, and eateries) You would have to take a taxi to go to town $20US one way.
The diving was o.k., but not much fish/wildlife since we were staying outside of a fishing village and pretty much was fished out. There are a lot of wall dives and that was nice. Mary's place is really a good dive. A friend of mine just got back Sat. from the Inn at Last Resort and really loved it. Said it was a really nice place, good food and friendly people. They are going back next Oct. and I plan to go then too. She said the diving was much better on the west end as it is protective waters (no commercial fishing allowed) Roatan is much more hilly and lush than SP, but like Hilary said, it's not as social as SP. Oh, take your DEET and make sure you use it! Sand fleas ate my LUNCH! I would suggest staying anywhere on the West End of Roatan to about Anthony's Key Resort (looked like a nice place, but I don't know anything about them) Once you get past French Harbor (sp?) on east it gets to be a pain to get around. The diving is nice, but to me....anytime I can get in the water is nice! Go and have fun! Explore new places, and come back to the ones you love!

Take the road less traveled
Been there 5 times, stayed at Anthonys Key, Cocoview, Fantasy Is. & Romeros.
Great wall diving & easy.
If I were going back the west end is by far the best & closest to S.P. life style.
Fantasy Is. does have a pool now & is a good place for divers. Ant.Key has the Dolphin experience which is really cool.
the down side is the no see ums after about 4pm. they are really bad. Not the nite life of S.P.
But I agree with the above message Beautiful & one of my favorite destinations.
Anthonys Key is on the west side but quite a ways from west end Village, there are 2 towns worth visiting Coxen Hole & my favorite French Harbour which has a really cool Restarant high on the hill overlooking the harbour, I believe it's the highest point & you can see for miles, really beatiful.
West end village would be my choice to stay next trip there, I haven't stayed there yet but have had lunch & dinner there a couple of times.
Yes!, Roatan is worth the trip!!

I'm going at Christmas, staying at Lost Paradise Inn.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.